Shower Screen Removal La Pavoni Europiccola Millennium

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
thusband

#1: Post by thusband »

I've had my machine for about 6 months. It was in great shape when I bought it but thought I should do a little maintenance. Per some other posts here I've removed the two nuts, clips, pins, roller and lever. I thought by pushing down on the piston rod the dispersion screen would fall out. Mine doesn't, it stops with about a half inch left to go. I read about prying the screen off with a "soft" tool but am not sure what I should use. I tried a small piece of wood but nothing budges. Could I be looking at maintenance for a different model?

Thanks

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

You've removed the piston rod retaining nut and lock nut, correct? Have you tried removing the portafilter gasket with a pick tool and then using the same pick tool to get under the edge of the shower screen to get it out?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

thusband wrote:Could I be looking at maintenance for a different model?
And just in case, you describe your machine as "Millennium." You mean it was built after 2000, right? If your machine is very old it could be first generation and the versions before 1968 had the shower screen permanently fixed to an inner brass sleeve. Trying to drive the piston through the shower screen would destroy it, requiring re-machining of the bottom of the cylinder to accommodate a recent version shower screen, just as with the later versions.
Gary
LMWDP#308

thusband (original poster)

#4: Post by thusband (original poster) »

drgary wrote:You've removed the piston rod retaining nut and lock nut, correct? Have you tried removing the portafilter gasket with a pick tool and then using the same pick tool to get under the edge of the shower screen to get it out?
Yes, both nuts were removed but I thought I had read somewhere that simply by pushing down on the piston rod the screen would fall out the bottom. I bought a dental pick from Amazon yesterday so when it arrives I'll give it another go. Thanks!

#5: Post by thusband (original poster) »

drgary wrote:And just in case, you describe your machine as "Millennium." You mean it was built after 2000, right? If your machine is very old it could be first generation and the versions before 1968 had the shower screen permanently fixed to an inner brass sleeve. Trying to drive the piston through the shower screen would destroy it, requiring re-machining of the bottom of the cylinder to accommodate a recent version shower screen, just as with the later versions.
Right. It was built after 2000. There's date made label inside the base.

AZRich

#6: Post by AZRich »

The screen is held in by the gasket, which may be very tight if it's been in there for a long time. I don't like the brute force method since the lip of the basket is thin. I remove the group (2 bolts) from the boiler, then unscrew the dipper tube, then flip the group upside down and replace the 2 bolts hand tight so the screen is facing up and easy to work on. Then I gently pry up an edge of the gasket until I can grab it and pull it out by hand. I use a paring knife with a slight bend in the tip so I can catch the outer edge of the gasket and pull it up without damaging the face that mates to the portafilter. Once that is out the screen lifts (or falls) right out. I lube the gasket before reassembly so next time it comes out easier. You may want to replace your gasket if its old, in which case the old one can be removed destructively.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

I agree that the shower screen should easily come out once the gasket is removed. The only thing holding it on there is the gasket unless the shower screen is slightly distorted so that it's a gentle pressure fit.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Advertisement

#8: Post by thusband (original poster) »

Thanks AZRich and drgary. It must be the gasket holding the screen up. Once I get it out I'll replace it.

AZRich

#9: Post by AZRich »

Tom -
On re-reading my post I see I gave some bad advice. Lubing the new gasket could potentially cause the portafilter to spin out while pulling a shot. So for the sake of safety, please disregard that final portion of my post above.
Rich

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary replying to AZRich »

It's standard operating procedure to lubricate portafilter gaskets on any machine, which reduces wear and helps with sealing. I would just make sure you firmly lock in the portafilter. Since the lever on a Millennium machine is a bit bendy, I like to support the base of the machine with one hand while locking in the portafilter. If you are at all concerned that the portafilter might spin out you can keep you hand on the portafilter handle as a backup if it starts to come loose. Mine doesn't.
Gary
LMWDP#308