VBM - wet pucks, shots pulling fast - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Bill33525 »

Looking at the pf/basket on 1St Line sounds like it's a triple. So you can safety add a few more grams and of course would have to grind just a little more course. This is good news if making milk drinks. As erics says, monitoring the pull weight is important to producing a consistent taste. I picked up a 2 Oz measuring cup from Crate & Barrel. What every your choice, something like that that will help consistency.

jamiedolan (original poster)

#22: Post by jamiedolan (original poster) replying to Bill33525 »

I have a 3 ounce insulated shot glass, so it gives me some reference point, but a 2 ounce or even small glass might be more helpful.

I often pull right into cups that are either 5.5 or 6 ounces, which is convenient, for making traditional caps, but also makes it harder to judge how much coffee you have pulled.

I see some 2 ounce insulated shot glasses on Amazon, I might have an easier time judging volume with those without having to weigh the output every time.

Thank you for the help.

erics
Supporter ★

#23: Post by erics »

So if I understand right, if I have 21 grams in the basket, I'd be looking for an output of 35 grams of water or right about 1.2 fluid ounces?
Yes, but only to start with (and, possibly to stay with - or not).

I use your same grinder (but with Super Jolly burrs) and only on certain occasions do I weigh the output. I have grown accustomed to the amount of beverage in my standard "cappy" cup.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

jamiedolan (original poster)

#24: Post by jamiedolan (original poster) replying to erics »

Thanks again for your help. I've heard of switching the burrs in this unit. Is the advantage that it grinds faster?

erics
Supporter ★

#25: Post by erics »

Is the advantage that it grinds faster?
Yes.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com