Using cold water from refrigerator filter system?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
PhotoMax

#1: Post by PhotoMax »

I have a late model fridge with an interior filtration system (as opposed to an exterior on the door system) and am wondering if there is any issue in using the cold filtered water to fill my water reservoir in my espresso machine? I am assuming there might be more time needed for the boiler to get to the correct brewing temperature...

Thanks...

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by jwCrema »

Based on the numbers I see via Eric's thermometer, my machine is unfazed by this exact issue. The thermal conductivity of water is relatively good, and appears that the water temp goes from refreshingly chilly to steam without skipping a beat.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by uscfroadie »

The temperature difference is of little significance. Far more importantly is the quality of the water you are getting out of the filter. I have the same type of filtration in my refrigerator, which is barely better than a Brita according to my testing of water out of my tap against the filtered water. With that being the case, more long term implications depend on the quality of the water you are feeding your machine. If you haven't tested your water, you want to do that ASAP.

A few kits for you to do so, whether you go with convenient strips or titration kits is irrelevant. Both tell you what you need to know. The titration kits are a little more precise but not as convenient to use. The strips are no-brainers. I have and use both.
Hach 5b Test Kit (titration)
Hach 5-in-1 Test Strips
API GH and KH Test Kit (titration)
API PH Test Kit (titration)
API 5-in-1 Test Strips

Follow your vendors' guidelines for acceptable levels. Also, for more reading, Check out Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ. It's not really that long, but it a must if you want to take care of your machine long term.

Just my $.02.

Cheers!
Merle

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

Agree completely. It only requires about one kilowatt*minute of energy to raise a full liter of water from 5℃ refrigerator temp to 20℃ room temp, and the water in the reservoir will be coming up to room temp by the time it's used, so temp is not an issue.

The filtration needs for the particular water always needs to be considered. Your fridge probably has a carbon block or a granular carbon filter, which may be ideal in your case. Seattle water is reportedly fairly soft, according to the aquarium and beer brewing forums, but my quick search found no official online reports for the hardness and alkalinity numbers out there. You could try contacting your water utility to see if they have values for your neighborhood's distribution system, or better yet just test yourself with the kits that Merle linked. (That API GH & KH kit is adequate and easy to use, and is dirt cheap from online sellers.)

* Note: One of the more reliable looking reports that I came across on a forum was this one from someone in West Seattle. Their calcium and magnesium numbers indicated a total hardness (GH) of about 82 mg/L (as CaCO3) ; the total alkalinity was about 30 mg/L, and it had nice low numbers for chloride and sulfate.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

PhotoMax (original poster)

#5: Post by PhotoMax (original poster) »

Great info!!!

I just used the SofChek strip that came with my new Lucca. Looking at the five color chart I am guessing our water hardness is in the middle of the scale? Maybe 100 ppm. This is using straight tap water and not the filtered water from our fridge. I really like the taste of the filtered water though...