Thread on steps on how to import a roaster - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
9Sbeans

#11: Post by 9Sbeans »

DaveC and roastimo has a valid point.

Different countries employ different regulation standards from line voltage, gas composition, the type of a screw thread, to as simple as the size of an Allen wrench. I would stress the importance of the fittings of the gas connector because it's a safety concern. My roaster came with all US standard connectors and a full set of tools for routine maintenance/cleaning. The roaster also equipped with a PID controller and supported native Bluetooth communication. This was hassle free purchasing experience for me, even though I "self-imported" the roaster.

$2200 is good money and enough motivation to consider bypassing the middle man. However, if you decide to self-import, the general mind set should not be merely focusing on the price saving. Hard to describe, that say, you should be at the same side of the seller (or ideally, the manufacturer) oversea, not the opposite side. Both you and the seller should be willing to work together to achieve the "happy trade". Behind a happy trade, there is both a satisfied buyer and a happy seller (or ideally, a proud manufacturer :wink: ).

happycat

#12: Post by happycat »

Admittedly, not a hugely expensive item, but I imported my quest directly M3 from Taiwan. My bank even showed me how to make direct wire transfer payment though their system on the web (vs having them do it) saving me a chunk of change there too. I saved enough buying and paying direct to pay for some thermal monitoring equipment. I found the people in Taiwan responsive and helpful. It was shipped EMS express and I paid taxes at the post office I think.
LMWDP #603

JK

#13: Post by JK »

Might have been something I posted in a North TJ-067 thread..

All you really need is a customs broker
Look for a local broker and they can walk you through the import..
I read you can do it your self but you need months to register..

Get a Broker before placing order..
I paid about $600 broker, duties and freight (from NYC to ATL to My door) on a $3,000 roaster..

You have 24 hours to inform customs on in bound item to a US Port..
Has to be by someone registered, this is the Broker's job..

Freaked me out because I didn't have a broker and had 24 hours.. Customs can cease item and fine you..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!