Case study - HG-1 and static electricity

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TsurTriger

#1: Post by TsurTriger »

Hello,

About a year ago, I was started to investigate the side effect of hand grinders - Static electricity.
I got an hour free time to play with HG 1's grinder friend and it is for my opinion, no doubt it is related to the lack of grounding, but not only. In addition to the lack of grounding, the HG 1 has some type of coating (anodized?) that seems to be isolated and prevent the electricity to be discharge to the entire body.

The first simple things I did is to coat the bottom funnel with aluminum foil and "connect" it to ground or just a bigger conducting body (to me for example).
Result: much less static electricity. But, then, I found another issue - the "coating" is not good enough and the coffee is stuck on it, need a smoother surface.

Next step 'm planning is to cast a thin electricity conductive material over the inner funnel (I think to use silver due to that it is cheaper over gold or platinum) and connect it to bigger body to discharge it.

anyone has some notes he wants to share with me in my little journey of the mysterious static electricity ? :)
I know it easily can be solved with the use of a bit of water, but is not a solution from my point of view (but don't ruin my fun of playing around :lol: ).

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

I have a Pharos. For awhile I connected the bottom plate to my espresso machine with a clip lead to address static issues.

That being said, coffee roast degree seems a big factor. Way more trouble with medium to dark roasts and light roasts are no issue for me.
LMWDP #603

ilker

#3: Post by ilker »