Poppery I TC probe for bean temp

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TonyC

#1: Post by TonyC »

Am looking for details from anyone that has PI and has used 1/8" dia. +- K type TC probe for BT that has gone directly in from side of unit into bean mass, and/or on angle with 4" long (or other) probe. Am presently using bare TC threaded through copper tube and hooked over top of chute, and while works fine, finding it a hassle to put in/take out for each set of roasts. If so, could you share specifically which probe you used, how installed, and what specific parts you used to hold probe in place? Are you using threaded probe, and if so, how long does probe need to be to make it through housing and into bean mass? If pics and/or url to order parts, much appreciated. Also, please advise on what you might do differently if you were doing again. Thanks in advance and great site!

Andy

#2: Post by Andy »

I placed a bare TC through a hole that I drilled through the plastic outer shell and through the plastic (bakelite?) throat of the roast chamber. No tube is needed. Mine is angled about 45° and I thread the wire until the bead is about TDC when the green bean mass is at rest. When the roaster is running, the bean mass is lofted enough so the bead is well into the roasting beans. It is easy to remove and replace between roasts if necessary.