ECM Synchronika - Page 18

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bzb

#171: Post by bzb »

mike guy wrote: <snip> . . . I have mine on a timer. It starts up at 530 every morning for a 1.5 hour warm up time for drinks around 7 am and shuts off at 9. On weekends it is programmed to stay on till 3 pm for an afternoon drink or two.
Mike Guy -- This dates back to a comment you made in October of last year, and should probably be a new thread, but -- I also have a Synchronika that I'd like to put on a timer, as you have. Presently my SO is responsible for turning the machine on, as she's up hours before me, but I'd like to relieve her of that responsibility, and control the device independently.

Any suggestions? What timer system are you using, and how well does it work for you? Thanks for any thoughts you can offer.

bzb

mike guy

#172: Post by mike guy »

Hi Ben! Welcome to the forum.

I personally use this timer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KBZUMG/

It works well and allows for a day by day or week and weekend schedule.

If I was going to buy now, I might consider a different kind of timer so I could use a phone app to turn it on as well. That's the only feature I think I'm missing, and I honestly probably wouldn't use it very much.

bzb

#173: Post by bzb »

Thanks for the welcome, Mike Guy, and thanks for the link. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I'm assuming if it's working for you with the Synchronika, it's specs are ok for the use :) No heat? No problems? I agree it'd be nice to be able to control via app, but really -- as you say, not likely a deal breaker. It's mostly just about not needing someone to turn the machine on for me an hour before I need coffee :)

Right now I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting a bit of water under the Synchronika. I haven't taken it apart yet (like I said, not an engineer), but it seems to leak whenever the machine is turned on. I thought perhaps originally it was user error (I'm using it with the reservoir, not plumbed), but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll be reaching out to Clive Coffee if I can't figure this out...

Anyway, thanks again for your response, and for the welcome. I've been a long time lurker, but it seems time to register and join up :-D

bzb

erics
Supporter ★

#174: Post by erics »

Right now I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting a bit of water under the Synchronika.
That should be a priority. If the machine is still under warranty, a call to the dealer is in order.

Likely culprits include the "T" fitting that joins the discharge from the thermal OPV, the steam boiler drain plug, and heavens forbid, the heating element gasket. I believe you will need a 2.5 mm and a 3.0 mm allen wrench to do the inspection.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

bzb

#175: Post by bzb »

Thanks, erics; I agree wholeheartedly that's the priority :)

Here's what's weird though: The leakage is intermittent. I tend to see it in the morning when I first fire up the Synchronika. I can then wipe up the moisture, and make a few drinks, and it stays dry the rest of the day. Unless it doesn't . . .

So, this afternoon I shut the machine down, let it cool - and expected the moisture to appear again when I fired it back up an hour or so later. But it didn't. Still dry.

Intermittent problems are always hard to diagnose -- but does that suggest anything to you? I'm in pretty deep over my head here, though I'm pretty sure I have the allen wrenches you mentioned.

bzb

erics
Supporter ★

#176: Post by erics »

The material chosen for the "T" connection was very sub-standard and would literally disintegrate over time. Ya need to open and inspect the top side which is, by itself, pretty easy.

If it is anything other than this "T" I mentioned, it is a PITA to fix but, can be done . . . trust me.

Is this machine under warranty ??
Skål,

Eric S.

erics
Supporter ★

#177: Post by erics »

I replaced the "T" connection on my Profitec 700 with a "Y" I had on hand. By itself, that was a simple fix but I had other leakage areas :( which have also been repaired :) It was NOT a fun adventure but all is well now. Profitect/ECM was made aware of my "problems" and they were very responsive.
Skål,

Eric S.

bzb

#178: Post by bzb »

Thanks, erics - yes, it is under warranty, though this will be the 2nd warrantee item to fail on this machine :( But on inspection it doesn't appear to be the T-connection you describe, nor can I see any other likely culprits. It _may_ be nothing more than the seal around the reservoir. But what do I know? :)

Waiting to hear from Clive . . .

Edouard

#179: Post by Edouard »

Hey everyone
Thanks a lot for all the post
I am new to this world of coffee and your insights are really appreciated !
I am about to buy a Syncronika (yeah me)
Just have a questions about the naked portafielter (from ECM) if anybody has one. Do you think it is justified to get a VST or Pullman for it? Will a 22g ridgeless fit on the bottomless ?
My question might sound stupid has I am new to this.
Thank you in advance

bzb

#180: Post by bzb »

Hey, Edouard - welcome to the forum, and no, not stupid at all. I'm pretty new at this myself, but from my own personal experience both the bottomless portafilter AND the VST baskets are well worth the additional expense. I'm sure the 22g will fit, but so will the 20g - that's what I have -- 20g ridgeless/19-20g coffee in a bottomless ECM portafilter. I struggled a bit with the bottomless a bit at first, and still do, some; but I clearly need to keep working on my prep/tamping. Def worth the additional cost, IMHO - helps with your technique, despite the mess it makes at first. I have 2 recurring problems: 1. when the basket first fills, I get a little spill of clean water (i.e., not coming from the coffee) over the basket on the handle side; and 2. when knocking the puck out, the slightest tap, and the basket comes flying out of the portafilter. Not a biggie, but I wonder if the ridged version might stay in more reliably.

Anyway, my vote on the bottomless/VST's is two thumbs, way way up. :D