Kalico Revelator always super light?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
day

#1: Post by day »

Hi, well, I can't complain because I got 5lb for free on the way out of SCAA-asked if they had a sample bag and they gave me the big bag. I thought it was pretty overly acidic on the bar, but not bad. I took it home and couldnt break the beans with my fingers and it was visually a very light roast. I ground it for a v60 and it was harder to turn on my Pharos than a normal espresso grind even when well short of second crack.

I had to turn my grind about 70degree finer than I normally grind, is extremely hard to grind, and its still running fast. Put in some of my home roasted beans at the same grind setting, much easier to pull (dropped them just a bit after first crack stopped)...and it took 1min20seconds to finish the pull, pretty much choking it.

So, is the Kalico always super light? Or is it perhaps that in the rush to get beans ready for SCAA they may have underroasted?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Stereo Heathen

#2: Post by Stereo Heathen »

I think it's fair to bet that a quite light coffee was their goal.
I'd be surprised to see any roaster providing something other than what they consider best representations of their coffee at such a large event like the SCAA Expo.

coffeemmichael

#3: Post by coffeemmichael »

I found myself having to apologize for light-roasted coffee within five minutes of arriving at the event when my friend tasted their espresso from their pop-up. Had it the first two days. Without a doubt was the most tongue-curling coffee I had all weekend.