Best domestic espresso grinder at any price? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
keno

#11: Post by keno »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Folks, I could be wrong... But by domestic I think the OP meant suitable for home use.
Yes, funny how that was misinterpreted.

Actually OP said "fits under domestic kitchen cabinets." So indeed, doubt it means domestic made. :lol:

SAB

#12: Post by SAB »

nuketopia wrote:Ok - so I need a grinder.

Parameters:

1. Produces high-quality, highly repeatable espresso grinding, with a variety of coffee types.
2. Amenable to single dosing. I change coffees a couple of times through the day. Usually, I dial in, write the settings down and reset the grinder when switching. Would like it to do the same thing next time the machine is set to that grind with that bean.
3. Fits under domestic kitchen cabinets. (under 17.5" height).
4. Low retention (single dosing).
5. Don't care about the price, high? Low? In-between?

Get it now?
Here's a link to the dimensions for the EG-1.http://lynweber.com/products/eg-1/basics/dimensions/

At 460 mm, it's 18.1 inches tall. However, most (or at least many) domestic cabinets have a molding lip that is lower than the cabinet floor. With the angular design, it may well be possible to tuck the grinder under the lip, still have it stand upright, and be able to dose it without pulling it out any farther. My cabinets should allow for such.

The bigger problem for the EG-1, and really most other grinders that meet the OP's criteria, is availability. Shipping isn't until August, and thats just for the initial order of 100.

In my experience, figuring out what will meet my needs best, and waiting for it if necessary, is preferable to jumping in quickly and becoming disenchanted almost as quickly...

nuketopia (original poster)

#13: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Domestic = household use.

Availability = now(ish).

EG-1's unique shape would allow it to work in my case. My kitchen cabinets have a lighting valance at about 17.5" from the counter top, thus the height limitation.

ShelbiRyan

#14: Post by ShelbiRyan »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Folks, I could be wrong... But by domestic I think the OP meant suitable for home use.
That was my understanding...