Simple Control Box Failure - Nuova Era Cuadra

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
luis84

#1: Post by luis84 »

Hi Everyone,

I have a Nuova Era cuadra (it's an e61 machine) and after some years of usage it began to have an issue where the pump would seem to "stick" on or it would have a burnt electronic smell. After some investigation a friend who worked on machines said the control box had a few bad traces that overheated and fixed it. It worked fine for 2 more years until today when it is doing the exact same thing.

Symptoms: The pump will make a slight hum like it is getting low current all the time or most of the time. It will run as normal but a strong burnt electronic smell is emitted over time. I have replaced the relay in the past etc. Anyway, the control box is the source of the smell.

Looking at it I can see the repairs made in the past but I am not too understanding of this. I know how to solder and have basic experience but I am not great at understanding circuits. I know I can by a replacement for like $109 but I am in Central America and with the current customs situation it's likely not going to arrive. No local technicians are around but there are plenty of good electronics experts.

Can anybody guide me on this or give me any tips of what might be going on or how to handle this? My exact location is El Salvador so if anybody is here and can fix this - I have no problem paying.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

First, does it click when it's supposed to but nothing happens? If so than the relay is likely bad. Do you have a meter? Can you check the relay ?

If it doesn't click, check the voltage across the dark blue electrolytic capacitor next to the transformer.

Ira

Advertisement
luis84 (original poster)

#3: Post by luis84 (original poster) »

Hello,

The relay appears to be bad. I am thinking I am going to change the relay and also repair those bridges (where the traces were broken) and recheck it.

If anybody has any additional suggestions that would be great, I really appreciate the help.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Makes sense the relay would be bad. Those traces should have never burned unless something shorted and that would me at least for a short time the relay contacts were overloaded.

Ira