Baratza Sette: Did it sound WAY more quiet than the Vario? - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Headala

#31: Post by Headala »

pineapplemonkey wrote:I have a Vario and if I leave the bin installed instead of the portafilter holder it is noticeably quieter. It is not a tremendous difference but it is there. The Sette grinds so much faster then the vario that I think I could deal with it. Maybe open up the insides and slap in some dynamat sound deadening :mrgreen:

Lol I was already looking at the exploded diagram on their website to see what kind of sound dampening I could fit in there! :D

Shife

#32: Post by Shife »

pineapplemonkey wrote:I have a Vario and if I leave the bin installed instead of the portafilter holder it is noticeably quieter. It is not a tremendous difference but it is there. The Sette grinds so much faster then the vario that I think I could deal with it. Maybe open up the insides and slap in some dynamat sound deadening :mrgreen:
I had the same thought on the Dynamat. It would probably have a decent impact and very little would be needed.

homeburrero
Team HB

#33: Post by homeburrero »

HB wrote:Here you go:
Thanks Dan!
Clearly the Sette is way louder when grinding empty. With beans in the hopper though, it sounds close enough that the Sette might win, because the faster grinding means less duration.
jbviau wrote:Not trying to be a devil's advocate or anything, but out of curiosity: why does noise matter to you all?
When I switched from the B. Vario to the very fast and quiet K30, I was surprised that it made such a difference to me. When I'm alone, it hardly matters, but when grinding while chatting with people in the kitchen and in the next room, the grinder noise interfered with conversation. The K30 is brief and quiet enough that people don't have to pause their conversation or raise their voices when I grind.

P.S.
FWIW, I ran Dan's video with my iPhone fixed nearby, running the Decibel 10th app to get some relative dB numbers off the video recording.

For the empty grind:
Sette: 90.6 (0.71 stddev)
Vario: 81.2 (0.83 stddev)

For the beans in the hopper grind:
Sette: 89.5 (0.97 stddev)
Vario: 87.7 (0.84 stddev)

Interesting that adding beans to the Sette appeared to muffle the motor noise enough to reduce the overall noise level.

Edit addition - When I posted the above, I had failed to notice Dan's movie editor clip image showing the actual sound levels of his video recording. Those sound levels clearly indicate that the Sette is a tad louder when you grind it with beans as opposed to empty. My result, showing that the Sette was slightly (and admittedly insignificantly) louder when grinding empty was likely an artifact of replaying the video on my computer speaker then measuring with an iPhone,
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

mauijer

#34: Post by mauijer »

HB wrote:The Sette is noticeably louder and higher pitched than other grinders I've used. The audio difference was easy to see in the movie editor too; here's the thumbnail:

<image> fast grinder, so honestly, louder or not, I'm pretty indifferent. If it was running for 30 seconds, its higher noise level and pitch might start grating on my nerves. Sensitivity to sound, like taste, varies from person to person. I think we'll have to wait until the Sette is in the hands of more buyers until there's a general consensus about whether it matters in the grand scheme of things. After a day's use, I'm in the "no" camp.
Dan,
Have you written your official review of the Sette with taste evaluation yet? I couldn't find it in the search.
Thanks

homeburrero
Team HB

#35: Post by homeburrero »

HB wrote:The Sette is noticeably louder and higher pitched than other grinders I've used. The audio difference was easy to see in the movie editor too; here's the thumbnail:<image>
I neglected to look closely at that image and see those sound levels. The sound levels in the editor are clearly slightly higher for the Sette when grinding with beans than when grinding empty. My result was probably an artifact related to playback on the computer speakers and then measuring with the iPhone.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

HB
Admin

#36: Post by HB »

mauijer wrote:Have you written your official review of the Sette with taste evaluation yet?
No, it only arrived late last week. There's two reviews already in progress; I'd like to close them out before starting a third (sorry, my "real" job and family obligations keep interfering). The research phase for the Sette will likely span a month or two and include a group evaluation.
Dan Kehn

mauijer

#37: Post by mauijer replying to HB »

Thanks!

Shife

#38: Post by Shife »

HB wrote:No, it only arrived late last week. There's two reviews already in progress; I'd like to close them out before starting a third (sorry, my "real" job and family obligations keep interfering). The research phase for the Sette will likely span a month or two and include a group evaluation.
And we thank you for that.

weebit_nutty

#39: Post by weebit_nutty »

A couple of things I really want to know are how the grind adjustment mechanism works and how the burrs are locked down. With their Forte, it used a self-tightening burr locking mechanism, which throws the grinder out of calibration, and created a potential for jamming and burning out the motor if owners weren't paying attention. I hope don't use this same design on the Sette.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?