Using E61 thermometer on single boiler...

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mikesnow

#1: Post by mikesnow »

Hi,

I have read through posts but can't find a lot of information on the site using an Erics E61 thermometer with a single boiler machine (QM Alexia).

Would I be using it correctly, if I flush until the boiler cycles, and then immediately after the cycle stops, my pour should be showing 204 F on the thermometer? Which would give me 200 at the puck? Pour seems to hold steady at around 204 for a while and then starts dropping away. Do I need to lower my boiler temp?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE replying to mikesnow »

I have one on my Alexia EVO. It reads about 3-5 f higher than actual brew temp midway through a shot.

You shouldn't have to do any flushes per say. Warm up for 50 min and look for idle of 197-198, then just a very quick screen "flush" ie. Just get the water coming out and get old grounds off and stop. Pull shot
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

mikesnow (original poster)

#3: Post by mikesnow (original poster) »

Okay, thanks. Mine was idling very low today at about 165, 50 mins or so after turning it on, but then when I would run water the temp would shoot up quite a lot to maybe 195 ish. I remembered reading something about needing to 'wake up' the thermosyphon loop?

So on yours you literally switch it on and without touching the lever it will reach 198ish, and then you will assume your are pulling shots at about 195?

I'm just wondering if the EVO (Pid?) means your dead-band is much narrower than mine?
Thanks
Mike

RyanJE

#4: Post by RyanJE replying to mikesnow »

Oh! Sorry didn't realize yours was before the PID! Have you checked out the bench thread and review? It talks about pulling after the heater cycle, etc. have you checked the temp setting inside the case?

My routine is as follows..

1. Warm up for 50+ minutes, portafilter in.
2. Results in idle temp of 197 on thermo.
3. Run group water 1-2 seconds, lock load and pull shot.

About 15 seconds into the shot the thermo reads about 204-205, which equates to about 200f at the puck. I have verified this against a Thermofilter.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

You shouldn't have to do any flushes per say. Warm up for 50 min and look for idle of 197-198, then just a very quick screen "flush", i.e., just get the water coming out and get old grounds off and stop. Pull shot
Exactly, exactly, exactly.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#6: Post by mikesnow (original poster) »

Eric you agree with this for non-PID Alexia as well as PID?

RyanJE

#7: Post by RyanJE »

Mike, what is your thermostat set at? The manual suggests an 18f offset, but I find my machine needs 28-29f. Others have shown roughly this same offset as well, not sure why quickmill uses 18??

#8: Post by mikesnow (original poster) »

Hi Ryan,

I'm not sure what it's set at due to the plastic dial breaking off. I've just been going in tiny increments one way or the other to try and hone it in. Thanks for your help with regards to an Alexia­.

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

Eric you agree with this for non-PID Alexia as well as PID?
Sure, BUT you are doing the right thing by using small increments on the thermostat. It is a prodigy TR/86 (I believe) and if you send me an email, I will send the appropriate drawing to you.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com