MauiGrown coffee

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Dtroms

#1: Post by Dtroms »

I just created an account after a year of reading and taking advice from this community. You guys are awesome. Thanks for helping this home roasted.

Recently I was given Red Catuai and Yellow Caturra green coffee by MauiGrown. I've been trying to find recommended roast profiles and characteristics at different roast levels. Haven't been able to find to much info.

Does anyone have experience with these greens and what is your preferred roast? I know everyone tastes are a little different. I only have 1lb green of each and don't want to experiment to much and go through it all.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I brought about 14 pounds of that coffee farms product back home from Maui a few years ago. Unfortunately, with the exception of their Maui Mokka, none of the other coffees were good for anything other than bland blender coffee. It's certainly not specialty grade. With that in mind, I wouldn't expend too much energy and focus on a specific profile. Anything generic that doesn't scorch/ or leave the beans too light in terms of development would suffice.

I ended up with 4 pounds of every varietal they offered. All were dull and non-descript. But you may have slightly better luck if it's a better crop. I personally feel they're not grown at enough altitude in order to have any complexity or brightness.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
Dtroms (original poster)

#3: Post by Dtroms (original poster) »

Sounds like a full city would work?

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

TomC wrote:I brought ... Unfortunately, with the exception of their Maui Mokka, none of the other coffees were good for anything other than bland blender coffee..
+1
-----
LMWDP #339

Dtroms (original poster)

#5: Post by Dtroms (original poster) »

Roasted both to a full city last night and brewed a cup of each about 1hr ago. The Yellow Caturra was a pleasant surprise after the response to this thread. It must of been a better crop. While still not a specialty grade it was a quality cup of coffee. The Red Catuai was as excpected after the responses.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

The Maui Mokka is a challenge too because it's low grown (sea level) and the beans are tiny. They need a very gentle roast. With all that said visiting their shop was a delightful experience.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Boldjava

#7: Post by Boldjava »

drgary wrote:...With all that said visiting their shop was a delightful experience.
I have bought MGC for several years, by the 100 weight. The Catuai was never good enough to distribute but did do a sack of the Caturra one year, about an 84. My sister in law loved it.

The Mokka has strong years and OK years. It is a delightful change but not a daily cup for me.

Kimo has done a phenomenal job with improving the farm. Every year I have seen improvement in the processing. I am unsure of hand/machine picking. For a while, I believe they were using a converted blueberry picker to harvest the Mokka. A farm I was on in Kona used Solomon Islands workers to do the hand harvest.

Kimo and Ci-Ci will be at the SCAA; will get a chance to chat with her. MCG is a delight to work with.
-----
LMWDP #339