KafaTek Monolith 68mm conical single-doser - Page 60

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Balthazar_B

#591: Post by Balthazar_B »

I didn't find it in this thread, but can someone who has a Monolith conical tell me how many watts it pulls when it's grinding? Denis doesn't have that spec on his website.

Many thanks!
- John

LMWDP # 577

greeneagle

#592: Post by greeneagle »

Balthazar_B wrote:I didn't find it in this thread, but can someone who has a Monolith conical tell me how many watts it pulls when it's grinding?
I just tested with Kill-A-Watt running the motor without beans (too late now to run with beans). It draws 105 Watts. I can report in the morning what it consumes when grinding with beans.

Balthazar_B

#593: Post by Balthazar_B replying to greeneagle »

Please do. I also dropped a note to Denis, but he may be nose-deep in finishing up his current run of grinders. If he responds, I'll post what he says to this thread.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Balthazar_B

#594: Post by Balthazar_B »

Well, that was quick. Denis replied and said that, depending on the beans, the conical can pull up to 400 watts. Now I'm curious about what greeneagle will measure.
- John

LMWDP # 577

greeneagle

#595: Post by greeneagle replying to Balthazar_B »

I just tested with rather dark beans. I see up to 150 watts. I will test later today with lighter beans. I am guessing either Denis is being rather generous or my meter is conservative!

Balthazar_B

#596: Post by Balthazar_B replying to greeneagle »

Or both! :wink:

Thanks, Giri. I know from hand grinding that there can be a really significant difference between the densest lightly roasted beans and others that have been dark roasted (maybe to the point twice the effort is required for the former). I'm very curious about what you'll find.

One reason I'm interested in this -- the other is idle curiosity -- is because I'm installing a dedicated 20A circuit for a pretty juice-hungry lever machine and want to know if that circuit can safely be shared with the Monolith conical during peak cycles. It sounds like it might very well support that use case.
- John

LMWDP # 577

greeneagle

#597: Post by greeneagle »

Balthazar_B wrote:Or both! :wink:

Thanks, Giri. I know from hand grinding that there can be a really significant difference between the densest lightly roasted beans and others that have been dark roasted (maybe to the point twice the effort is required for the former). I'm very curious about what you'll find.
Just ran 18 gm of (Nossa Familia Full Cycle beans). Maximum I saw was 180 watts. Non-espresso roast beans will likely consume about 250? Unfortunately I don't have lighter roast beans to try.

CrabRangoon

#598: Post by CrabRangoon »

I know chances are quite slim, but I am quite interested in the monolith and have to ask: does the PF holder have a chance in hell at working with a small Olympia Cremona PF? It doesn't make a large difference but I use a bottomless Penney PF on mine.
LMWDP #505

okmed

#599: Post by okmed »

Balthazar, I run my Strega and the Monolith conical on the same 20 amp circuit and to date have not had a fuse blow (time delay fuse obviously). My beans are mostly medium roasted.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#600: Post by FotonDrv »

CrabRangoon wrote:I know chances are quite slim, but I am quite interested in the monolith and have to ask: does the PF holder have a chance in hell at working with a small Olympia Cremona PF? It doesn't make a large difference but I use a bottomless Penney PF on mine.
They are adjustable for height and width.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train