Blind Shaker Hack - Ipanema Dosing Funnel - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
erik82

#11: Post by erik82 »

Shaking and transferring into the basket does indeed work well. I put the OE ABS jar of my lido under the HG One for grinding into. Then put the OE Conetop on the jar allowing me to shake without the grounds coming out of the jar. Finally I tranferred the grounds into the filter basket using the Ipanema funnel and the pours looked very good.

Only problem with this was that it took me twice the time needed compared to grinding in the blind tumbler, stirring with a whisk and pulling the plug. The results in taste and pours where exactly the same. A blind shaker would do the job, now they just have to make a 49mm version of it.

TomC
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC »

A simple paper Solo cup works wonders. Straight from the grinder, shaken Bach and forth (not up and down ) then easily poured into the basket. I did this for the last few years with the HG-1 and all basket sizes, even the lowly 49mm. Pretty quick too.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

lcats

#13: Post by lcats »

Try putting the lid from a regular-sized Mason Jar onto the top of the HG-1's regular blind tumbler. A dab of Velcro tape centered on the bottom of the jar lid helps with getting a snug fit against the handle for the tumbler's bottom plug) and no chance of a spill. Voila -- a blind shaker (at least until I can compare this with one that I have ordered).

erik82

#14: Post by erik82 »

I used the Lido ABS plastic jar the last couple of weeks and put the conetop on it aftert grinding for shaking. After that pouring the grounds into my 49mm filterbasket with the Ipanema funnel on it. It works great but isn't a really great workflow.

I also ordered a blind shaker which will make my workflow a lot easier. I'll have to use the Ipanema funnel for my 49mm filterbaskets as the blind tumbler only takes 58mm filterbaskets. It'll finally get some use here after using the blind tumbler for over 3 years. I still love the blind tumbler but my above described routine is easier with better results.

dominico
Team HB

#15: Post by dominico »

I've traditionally done WDT and lately the Perger portafilter tap. Based on this thread I'm going to experiment with shaking the Mahlgut grinds tray from side to side before pouring into the basket.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?