Mazzer Major Electronic, a PITA to dose basket... - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
AssafL

#11: Post by AssafL »

FWIW - a very long time ago I had the same situation with the Mini. It turned out that placing two lock washers on the button enabled the Portafilter to be placed closer to the grinder base.

I don't know if it will work here but it looks similar enough.... (note - the solution is designated as "tackling problem 2").

Mazzer Mini E - Grind distribution improvement mods
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

chappcc

#12: Post by chappcc »

I had a Major-E that I used for single dosing. Without the static screen, I had to make sure I provided moisture to the beans before grinding by either providing a spritz with a water spray or a little steam from the steam wand. After this, the grounds did not accumulate on the side of the hopper and flowed nicely into the portafilter. Without the static screen clearing the chute was very easy with either a small brush or air jet.

desmodici

#13: Post by desmodici »

Kipp wrote:There are thousands, if not tens of thousands of Mazzer E grinders in shops dosing directly into portafilters all over the world. You MUST keep the static screen in place! If the grinder didn't need the screen they would have not wasted the time, money, and effort to put it in.
Spot on... Feeling the need to sweep the grinder throat spotless is a result of the OCD tendencies that we nurture on these forums that lead us to think that a speck of stale grinds will ruin the next espresso.... i speak from experience, I've been there :)

I learned to just give it a quick pulse in the morning to purge a few grams and move on with my day, I'm much happier now :)

turtle

#14: Post by turtle »

AssafL wrote:FWIW - a very long time ago I had the same situation with the Mini. It turned out that placing two lock washers on the button enabled the Portafilter to be placed closer to the grinder base.
Mazzer makes two completely different portafilter forks/holders.

One for a doser can

One for the electronic funnel

The location of the porafilter in these two holders is completely different

Use the proper forks for the proper dispensing method and there are no issues.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

AssafL

#15: Post by AssafL replying to turtle »

My knowledge is relevant to 7 years ago. So it might have changed.

But the issue was not the fork. The button kept the PF too far out so the middle of the middle of the funnel was not coincidental with the middle of the basket.

This may have changed, or it may work with smaller baskets/PF.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.