Vintage Gaggia 3 lever - anyone know the model?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
DaveLSM

#1: Post by DaveLSM »

Checked this out today, couldn't resist. Anyone know the model and have an idea of approximate value? Quite a piece!
Thanks.

later - "Orione" maybe?
Dave

La vita e troppo breve per mangiare e bere male.

skydragondave

#2: Post by skydragondave »

This machine is mine now. I bought it over the weekend. Some interesting notes:
Orione 68-73 with Sirai pstat added, wobble weight still intact and functioning. Side and rear panels are not painted but instead covered with red naugahyde. Centre handle is plastic, others are original bakelite.
For professional reasons can't disclose the client or selling agent, but I know both quite well. They have done business together for many decades. I am very lucky to have the ear of both the selling agent who originally sold this machine, its longtime owner and the history behind this wonderful machine at my fingertips.
No date code on the elements or boiler. I probably won't restore for quite some time as we all know parts for these things are more of an opportunity purchase than something you can just rush out and get like the modern ones.
I look forward to following in the footsteps of Paul Pratt Russell Kerr Doug Garrott and others who have been so generous in the near past with their insight into these old machines. Like anything done with attention to quality it is something you just can't rush.
LMWDP #433