75mm Grinder Comparisons - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
malling

#11: Post by malling »

The single most important issue for a home user is and has long been retention, this is very different from a commercial environment where the biggest issue is and has always been shifting temperature, inconsistent dosing and bad distribution.(taking alignment, burrs design and size out of the equation)

This is also the reason behind the recent development in temperature control that one find in a Mythos One or the cooling features found in a Kold and k30 Air. And the overall lack of development in solving high retention.

The Eg-one, the use of bulk all solves this problem to a certain degree, but not without changing the tast profile and introducing rigorous dosing and distribution routines, that can be a bit annoying and is unpractical in a professional setting.

The Mythos low RPM with its 45 degrees burrs however seem to be a good chose with a clump buster mod, low retention at low RPM for those who want a more traditional espresso and a faff free routine.

It is the best choice for a home barista due to the lower retention, the burrs might not be a step over a Super Caimano or even a k30 but it is lower in what counts eg. retention. This should not be underestimated.

The taste difference between any big flat and k30 is subtle, with the k30, S. Caimano and Mythos delivering slightly more clarity and separation of flavors the the remaining. But the difference is less obvious then a flat and conic

LA

#12: Post by LA »

Is this the Super Caimano with steel burrs for about $1,200, or the one with titanium burrs that looks otherwise identical but costs a thousand dollars more? (The one with titanium burrs is ranked above the K30 and 83mm flat burr grinders by some here. Is the only difference between the two Super Caimanos the burrs or are there other reasons for the claimed better taste?)

Advertisement
malling

#13: Post by malling replying to LA »

I don't think you'll get an objective answer to that question. The stock super caimano is really all you need in a home setting. Home users do not need long lasting burrs as stock last long enough with our limited usage. this is something to consider if your intentions is to open up a cafe.

But i would be surpriced if anyone can pick out TI burr in a blind test. Most people find it hard to taste a difference between big flats in general, even when done in a side by side comparison. Imagine how this will multiply with the same people in a blind test.

I would not spin my mind to much around witch burr a grinder use, as long as these are of a certain size and quality, alignment is far more importent then size and if the burrs has been coated with titanium.

What I don't like about the caimano is that it is stepped, so if I had the desire for one I would get the latest model the SP450 OD that is a stepless version, that also uses TI burrs. It is listed at $2160 in Europe, but might be more expensive in the states.

But if one can get a Mythos One Barista there is really little point in doing so, unless one really want an Anfim.

Personally I don't quite grasp why certain individuals rank grinders. All grinders above a certain price range are great and none is really better then the other when we look at results in the cup. Sure there is a difference in what these grinders underline, but that is all it is.

I'm far more concerned about things that limited an otherwise great grinder from achieving it's capabilities. For us as home users it is retention.