Cafelat Bottomless for Elektra Microcasa a Leva?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
aasemkhan

#1: Post by aasemkhan »

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I ran some searches, but didn't find much. Also, the threads discussing this were closed, so this new one.

Does the Cafelat bottomless fit the MCAL? If so, is it a good fit, or is there some 'wiggling of the key' involved?

Thanks.

rpavlis

#2: Post by rpavlis »

The 49mm La Pavloni Cafelat bottomless portafilters seem to fit perfectly on the MCAL, BUT the La Pavoni machines have the lugs designed to be sections of anticlockwise threads, and the MCAL machines have them designed to sections of clockwise threads. Thus even though they appear and feel to fit perfectly the contact between the brass MCAL group and the hard stainless steel portafilter is only at one point. I put the one that I have for La Pavonis on my MCAL for occasional tests, but it would probably be a very bad idea to use it continuously because of the high chance of serious wear to the brass contact point in the portafilter. I suspect it would work for a long time, but still long term use seems risky?

mikhail

#3: Post by mikhail »

I am going to try what chococar did here
Additional spring for Elektra Microcasa a Leva [VIDEO]

Looking for a local machine shop to lathe my portafilter

aasemkhan (original poster)

#4: Post by aasemkhan (original poster) »

rpavlis wrote:The 49mm La Pavloni Cafelat bottomless portafilters seem to fit perfectly on the MCAL, BUT the La Pavoni machines have the lugs designed to be sections of anticlockwise threads, and the MCAL machines have them designed to sections of clockwise threads.... I suspect it would work for a long time, but still long term use seems risky?
So the Richard Penny is a 'safer' option?

#5: Post by aasemkhan (original poster) »

mikhail wrote:I am going to try what chococar did here
Additional spring for Elektra Microcasa a Leva [VIDEO]

Looking for a local machine shop to lathe my portafilter
That would guarantee a perfect fit. I saw someone cut it out with a hole saw. Maybe that attached to a drill press would work? Then you'd just have to grind and polish. My interest in the Cafelat was because of the double spout.

ecuew

#6: Post by ecuew »

I had Lino at Verna Design cut mine. Quite happy with the result.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

aasemkhan wrote:So the Richard Penny is a 'safer' option?
Yes. And although you don't have two spouts, it's massive and well made.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

[creative nickname]

#8: Post by [creative nickname] »

I got a spare from Stefano and he drilled it out for me prior to shipment. It was a bit cheaper than the Richard Penny one.
LMWDP #435

#9: Post by aasemkhan (original poster) »

Not a bad idea. I could drill it out myself too.

Also, love that nickname :-)