Lusso love/hate

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
josh

#1: Post by josh »

We've been together for 8 years but the last week has been tuff. The lusso has been on the shelf for the past 6 months due to lack of ambition and not wanting to hear the sob story of how hard the parts are to get for whatever kind of machine that thing is. So I took a crack and stripped it down- new wiring and gaskets. All was looking good until I realized the water connection to the group head has broken loose. Question: what do I do? And has anyone else had a similar experience.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

There are several machines called Lusso. Which is yours? I am thinking it may be Ponte Vecchio because I've heard of fittings soldered to the boiler that have since been upgraded. Can you show us photos please?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

josh (original poster)

#3: Post by josh (original poster) »

Yes it is the PV Lusso I believe in I have tracked down the parts now it's a matter of getting them on. Does anyone know if I can unsolder the flange?

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#4: Post by EspressoForge »

Pics would help, but yes you should likely be able to un-solder provided you can throw enough heat at the joint. Smaller parts are easier to do with regular propane torch.

HoldTheOnions

#5: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I think I have the same grouphead, as last resort you can drill and tap a 1/4 npt into it no problem and connect whatever you want. You may be able to do 1/8 npt depending on what you have, but mine was 1/8 bsp and so I had to go larger. I used a barb for ptfe tubing, but you can use whatever you like.

Get a tap like this http://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American- ... ap+and+die and drill with a 7/16 bit (or 3/16 for 1/8) about 5/8 inch into the grouphead should be enough. Make sure you clear out any debris so it doesn't plug the hole going into the grouphead.

josh (original poster)

#6: Post by josh (original poster) »

josh (original poster)

#7: Post by josh (original poster) »

I have tried heating it but nothing is breaking loose. It seems to be welded. Has anyone been down this path?