Moving to the UK from the US. Should I wait to buy a grinder?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
thusband

#1: Post by thusband »

I'm looking at the Compak K3 or Macap MC4 but am concerned if I move to the UK in a year or so will I be able to use them over there? Would a voltage transformer work?

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

If going to UK is for certain, another option you could order from Europe now and then use the transformer here and ditch it later. Could also just buy US version and sell it when you leave. Will have to do the math on those options to figure if they make sense. One thing to consider is the grind speed will change because Europe is 50hz vs 60hz in US. Maybe someone else has better ideas.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Voltage transformers will work, but only make sense if you plan to return to the US. You'll need a transformer capacity well over the motor rating since the startup surge will otherwise blow the fuse on the transformer (don't ask how I know :oops:). Otherwise it's easier to buy local and resell before leaving. If you buy used over there, you'll get most of your money back.
Dan Kehn

OldNuc

#4: Post by OldNuc »

A transformer current rating should be 5 times the full load listed running current. Sometimes you get away with only 3 times but if you guess wrong and it is an unfused transformer you will be letting the magic smoke out of it.

Gig103

#5: Post by Gig103 »

FYI - when moving to the UK, your personal belongings are subject to a 20% duty/VAT. So in addition to the power concerns, there is also that to consider.
I'm on my phone so u can't get the source easily, but it's on gov.uk

billt

#6: Post by billt »

Apparently not.
5.1 Can I get relief from duty and tax on transfer of residence?

Yes. You can bring in your belongings or vehicle free of duty and tax so long as you:

are moving your normal home to the EC
have had your normal home outside the EC for a continuous period of at least 12 months
have possessed and used them for at least 6 months outside the EC before they are imported
did not get them under a duty/tax free scheme (but see paragraph 5.2)
declare them to us as explained in paragraph 3.2
will keep them for your personal use
do not sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of them in the EC within 12 months of importation, unless you notify us first and pay duty and VAT on disposal. Our hepline can tell you how to do this

Belongings include clothing, furniture, portable tools of trade, pets and other household and personal effects, but not alcoholic drinks or tobacco products: you will not get relief on those unless they travel in with you and qualify for the duty-free allowances - see paragraph 2.1.
From https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ide-the-ec

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

Such tax exempts are usually in place in the EU but do have restrictions like the 12 months shown. BTW, bringing a car can be interesting if your gas mileage is decent (cars are generally more expensive in the EU) but as it concerns the UK I'd carefully consider the cons of driving a left steer car in left hand drive country...

As to the grinder, if you plan to stay there for a considerable amount of years I'd buy one there.
LMWDP #483

thusband (original poster)

#8: Post by thusband (original poster) »

Good information. Thanks all. I think I'll buy the grinder here in the US and sell before I go. I haven't even thought about taxes on my belongings.

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl replying to thusband »

Depending on what the circumstances and duration of your move are it may pay off to get some advice on various options, there just might be a possibility that you don't pay taxes or duties if you only stay for a while but that probably comes down to the right paperwork completed the right way at the right moment... https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ide-the-eu
LMWDP #483

Gig103

#10: Post by Gig103 »

Ah, good find! I was going based on this page. Glad this was corrected, for my knowledge and OP's.