Elektra Microcasa a Leva one piece sightglass shield removal

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Scott6468

#1: Post by Scott6468 »

Good Morning,

I am working my way through seals and maintenance on a new to me 1991 Elektra MCAL. This machine has a one piece sight glass shield and no circlips. I have found lots of information on removal of the two-piece, circlip retained shrouds, but not so much on the one-piece. Does anyone know how the one piece shield is removed? Thanks.

Scott

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Usually the way these types of shields are removed is by removing the sightglass tube first, gripping it through the gap in the shield.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

Very, very, slowly. The rubber seals are no doubt toast so just slowly cut them up and and pick them out with a dental pick, x-acto knife, and similar.

Install the new seals with lots of lube (KY works if you don't have assembly lube) and tighten very, very, very slowly. Like, over time. Tighten a bit, run the machine, let the seals leak, tighten a bit more. Repeat another day. You want the absolute minimum tightness that doesn't leak. This will be still quite loose from a turning perspective. You won't get there by just tightening (you'll over-tighten and break the glass). Get the leaking down to almost no drip.The leaking will eventually go away as the assembly lube is washed out by the leaking hot water. Tighten too much and the seals will never stop leaking.

If you break the sightglass, then everything will have to be replaced with the new system depending on where you break the glass.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Scott6468 (original poster)

#4: Post by Scott6468 (original poster) »

Thank you - those are great tips. I was able to clean out the sightglass, leaving it in place, after removing the manometer. No leaks, so I am leaving everything intact for now.

Scott