La Marzocco Linea Mini in the house! - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
7p62mm

#41: Post by 7p62mm »

Yes, I was not thinking that it was freewheeling. From what I have read it has fixed steps. My question is are there markings on the chassis to line up with the marking on the adjustment knob so that you know which value the knob is set to?

Beezer

#42: Post by Beezer »

Anyone else see the T-shirt LM is going to give away at SCAA this year? Looks really cool. I hope they make it available for people to buy if they can't make it to the SCAA.

http://home.lamarzoccousa.com/experienc ... scaa-2016/
Lock and load!

7p62mm

#43: Post by 7p62mm »

T shirt is way cool!

tgfoyl1472

#44: Post by tgfoyl1472 »

Today my new LM Linea Mini stainless steel arrived home, man I could hardly contain myself. This machine was a birthday gift from my wife and the Linea Mini is almost as beatiful as she is :mrgreen:

After setting it up I pulled a couple of shots to test it out and without even trying the shots looked and tasted great to me. Next I steamed some milk for a cappuccino, the main reason I wanted this machine was for the steam capabilities, and I just about shed a tear! The steam power of this machine is like nothing I have ever tried!

The LMLM is replacing a very faithful and awesome Rocket Giotto I have had for 8 years. The Giotto really got me into espresso and milk based drinks when I first started. Now the LMLM is going to take me to the next level. I will post some pictures in a little bit, man I am so freakin excited!!! :D

nuketopia (original poster)

#45: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

7p62mm wrote:Yes, I was not thinking that it was freewheeling. From what I have read it has fixed steps. My question is are there markings on the chassis to line up with the marking on the adjustment knob so that you know which value the knob is set to?
Don't worry about that. There isn't a pointer. Just trust them, they did it right. Read it at the bottom point. You won't have any trouble getting a good setting.

The wheel is on a mechanical clicker. It will stay where you put it, no problem. It won't go drifting around. On the US model, the wheel is marked at 185f, 221f at the min/max. Each "line" between marks is actually 0.5c. If you look carefully at the wheel, you'll see the intervening numbers marked, "199.4" note the fractions, because the scale is really graduated in degrees "c". They just put the farenheit numbers on, fractions and all, for the US market. :)

The right spot to read the dial is at the "6-o'clock position" or straight down, center.

It is correct, beleive me. They are carefully setup before shipping.

The somewhat strange part is that they calibrate by centering the rotation of the control, measuring what comes out using a scace device at the brewhead. Then they put the sticker on the dial so that it lines up with the reading. The read out at the bottom center point is correct, but if you run the dial to either end, it may not reach the last number on one end, and go way past it on the other. Just accept this as part of the hand-made in Florence charm, look at the center bottom point, set the desired temperature and go on about life.

7p62mm

#46: Post by 7p62mm »

Thanks Nuketopia for the explanation. It makes perfect since for the 6 O'clock number to be the setting. There would be no issue to reset to a previous setting.
From what I have read adding PID temperature control and double boilers to the E61 design has cured most of its temperature stability deficiencies. Right now I am leaning towards the Profitec Pro 700 due its much lower cost. I don't think I would be sacrificing anything from a quality of build standpoint. That said a lot of smart experienced members think that the Mini makes the better shot. I just doubt that it would be a big enough of an improvement to warrant the additional 2K. Right now I can't afford to buy either one. If silver performs like I think it will then that can change.

7p62mm

#47: Post by 7p62mm »

It also makes since that the end point values may not be reached because the max values may exceed the linear range of the PID. You would never use those so that is not an issue at all. Thanks again for the LM Mini PID's operational description.

thecatch83

#48: Post by thecatch83 »

LMLM owners still happy?

Kipp

#49: Post by Kipp »

Yes! I'm loving mine.

-My first 3 years were with a Olympia Maximatic
-Next 3 with Olympia Cremina
-2 weeks with ECM Giotto- returned to store
-14+ years with Reneka Techno the OG compact DB rotary plumbed in, 1 degree temp settings with V2 upgrade. Was and is a great machine.

About 9 months with LMLM. It's worth every penny.