Breville BES920XL double boiler. Something is wrong.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mikeev

#1: Post by mikeev »

Heya all, I used this site to decide that i wanted to purchase a BDB bes920 and did so a little while after them came out... I have been extremely pleased so far but have just recently ran into an issue. Perhaps someone can help me out.

Firstly, I understand that descaling these machines is a big problem, something i learned after doing it. I was able to complete the cycle even though I got the valve error many times. I just kept flushing until it completed...

Now the Issue, when i turn it on, or it turns itself on, steam pours out of the left side of the drip tray. It clearly comes out of the same opening that releases the pressure during the cleaning cycle on the bottom left side of the machine. here is a video.
i can only get it to stop by turning it on and off a few times and run the first 60 seconds of the cleaning cycle

any suggestions??

new2espresso

#2: Post by new2espresso »

Did you close the descale screws all the way when you got done? I've descaled my BDB x2 and I have not had this happen. If that doesn't help try calling breville, they're actually very helpful on the phone and via email
Kind regards,
Karan

mikeev (original poster)

#3: Post by mikeev (original poster) »

has nothing to do with those ports, which are on the right side,, this steam is coming from the left side where the pressure is released during the cleaning function

FirstBetta

#4: Post by FirstBetta »

It sounds as if the 3 way solenoid could be stuck open. Does this happen right when the machine is turned on or after it has warmed up to operating temperature? Other than descaling have you been backflushing the group? I'm not criticizing but attempting to trouble shoot your machine. Hope this helps.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bill33525 »

Try contacting Matt Sutton <askus@brevilleusa.com>

Matt Sutton
Consumer Call Center
Breville USA
T 1 866 273 8455
F 310 755 3039

Here are instructions to reset the internal computer, might try this first.

1. Have the machine plugged in but powered off.
2. PRESS and HOLD both the ONE CUP and POWER button at the same time until the LCD turns on and rSET appear on the screen. Release the buttons.
3. Press the MENU button.
4. Reselect the water hardness using the UP/DOWN arrows. Once the correct hardness is flashing, press the MENU button again to save the setting.
5. After reset you may test the extraction volume without coffee. The standard ONE cup shot should be approximately 1.5 ounces and the TWO cup shot should be approximately 2.5 ounces.

lifevicarious

#6: Post by lifevicarious »

Out of curiosity, why did you descale? It seems descaling typically does more harm than good. If you are using good water, no descaling is neccesary.
- Christian

FirstBetta

#7: Post by FirstBetta »

I looked at the video in the light of day this AM and saw what looked like the steam coming out of the steam arm. The steam valve looks like it is in the off position. Now I have to second the suggestion of calling Breville CS.

mikeev (original poster)

#8: Post by mikeev (original poster) »

trust me the steam is coming from that valve under the drip tray on the left side of the machine.
i descaled because the machine was calling for it!

mikeev (original poster)

#9: Post by mikeev (original poster) »

i have been considering the possibility that this is a software issue because it does go away after the process described.

mikeev (original poster)

#10: Post by mikeev (original poster) »

ive run the clean cycle a few times now. i'm going to try that and see if it stops happening. if no luck then i'll be calling them