Use of bulk grinder for single serve/espresso dosing

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
NuanceCoffee

#1: Post by NuanceCoffee »

Hi,

I have a Mahlkoenig GSS 1 grinder. Can I use if for single dose grinding in addition to higher volume grinding? This sort of versatility would be great as it would prevent me from having to invest in another grinder. It may not have to be as capable as the EK43 but, at the least, are there any issues with using a machine designed for bulk use in single dose applications where the frequency of grinding may higher but volume of each grind much lower?

Thanks,

nickw

#2: Post by nickw »

Hi there,
You'd shouldn't have and problems single dosing with a Mahlkonig GSS 1 (it's likely auger feed like many of their grinders). Nor should you have any problems using it with some volume, it should be able to handle about 50lbs a day without issue. Capability wise, it should be quite good and comparable to an EK43.

Cheers!
Nick.

malling

#3: Post by malling »

From the look of it, it uses an identical stepless adjustment to that of the Ek, so there should be no problems using it for espresso. However the setting might be very close to zero as it where the case with the EK before it became popular

There is also an overwhelming chance that the shots are comparable to that of the EK, this type of shots are not to everyones liking. So do not expect traditional ratios or taste, if that is what your after then I'm afraid that you have to purchase a more classical espresso grinder.

I would not worry about the frequency, these type of grinders are made to withstand abuse.