Used La Pavoni Europiccola vs. Espresso Forge for Newbie - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

I have a '61, '64, '68 and 2002 La Pavoni. The first three are first generation, and I've learned to tune them. I find the temperature stability comparable to my '87 Cremina. The steaming of the 1st gens where I've kept the original dual heating elements is comparable to the Cremina. The one I modernized with a pressurestat has a bit weaker steaming than the Cremina because the pressurestat adjustment is a compromise that would overheat the base if kept high enough for steaming. I'm thinking of adding another power switch to briefly toggle up steam power like the dual element ones. This need may have inspired Olympia Express to create the second generation Cremina, where the frame better isolates boiler heat. The 1st gen Pavonis with minor mods were 1st gen Creminas.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

randyh (original poster)

#12: Post by randyh (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments, especially those that have had experience with the Forge. I'm still leaning towards the Forge for it's simplicity and ease of care, and I like that it uses a 58mm basket with naked "portafilter" already. I think the 58mm basket will make dosing and tamping easier. If anyone has 51mm ridge-less baskets they want to sell, let me know!