Olympia Cremina Portafilter Options

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by jwCrema »

I am looking for a regular portafilter to supplement My Richard Penney bottomless portafilter. I am hoping to avoid buy & try with this endeavor as the hassle of wait/ship/return is steep.

I use the deep MCAL basket Orphan Espresso sells and due to the price I've paid for four of these baskets I'd like to use them in a non-bottomless portafilter. Is anyone using an MCAL portafilter that works with the baskets with a Cremina?

I am ambivalent as to the manufacturer of the portafilter, so long as it works with my baskets and the Cremina. Due to the $150 portafilter from Olympia Express I'd like to find another option if possible. I'm handy with a file if I need to persuade brand x to work with the Cremina.

jwCrema (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by jwCrema (original poster) »

For those that follow that might have this question. I found that the Elektra MCAL double baskets I bought from OE work flawlessly in a Cremina Portafilter after you remove the basket retaining spring. The MCAL baskets will not work with the retaining spring - remove it and they drop in perfectly. There were some posts I found that suggested that some filing/persuasion was necessary in the past, but as of this date, that is no longer the case. If you really wanted to keep the retaining spring you'll need a lathe.

michaelbenis

#3: Post by michaelbenis »

I've been using MCAL baskets in a Cremina portafilter without any problems for years.
LMWDP No. 237

Eastsideloco

#4: Post by Eastsideloco »

In theory, you should be able to use an MCAL portafilter with a Cremina. (The Penney PF fits both machines.)