Gene Cafe or Behmor 1600 too big to get out and put back?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CTurner

#1: Post by CTurner »

I currently use a Fresh Roast 500 and have learned a lot over the last two years or so. I'm also starting into blending my own espresso roasts.

I think I would like to "step up" to either a Behmor 1600 OR a Gene Cafe. I typically aim for beginning of second crack (or lesss) and think either one would give fine results. The increase in roasting capacity also appeals.

My question: The Fresh Roast is very easy to pack away in a closet (along with scales, etc.). I alternate between on our back deck and in our garage, depending on outdoor temps.

Would a Behmor or a Gene Cafe be too cumbersome to set out and then put back in a closet? I cannot count on keeping it in one place or another and roasting in the house is not possible. Would moving either machine cause damage (only moving when machine is cold, of course)?

Thanks,
Craig

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

No problem with the Behmor 1600, it's built like a tank. I even threw mine in one of those personal shopping cart things you use if you walk to the store to take mine to Kevin Sinnott's CoffeeCon in San Francisco for the home roasting demo when I couldn't get parking near the event.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cuppajoe

#3: Post by cuppajoe »

I used mine in the kitchen and back patio, storing it in the garage between uses. Not any worse than moving a medium sized toaster oven or microwave. It's self contained, so no loose bits to keep track of.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JavaMD »

I used to roast with the Gene Cafe in my kitchen. I put a Dryer vent in a Plexiglas window panel I could put in the kitchen window by opening and closing the sliding glass window and hook up the exhaust to it with a 3" dryer vent. Worked great with little smell in the house. Would run outside with the chamber and dump into a cooling tray outside. when done. Worked ... the Gene is fairly light and easy to move also.

Steve

max

#5: Post by max »

I keep my Gene on a shelf so certainly no problem.

billsey

#6: Post by billsey »

I roast with the Behmor on my stove and use the vent fan. When I'm done (typically two batches) and it's had a bit to cool I do a cleaning and take the unit and store it in the pantry. Very easy to move around, you just have to track where you have the power cord (I drape it across the top).