Huky, Quest, Kaldi, Hottop, Mill City, or Gene Cafe? - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
keno

#31: Post by keno »

drgary wrote:Them's fightin' words! :lol: But I ain't gonna fight. I can tell you for sure my TJ-067 is overbuilt in every way, like a commercial range versus a home one. The BC600 looks like it's very well-designed, though. I'll have to drop by Ken's place one of these days and see his roaster. In any case, Mike McGinnis of Compass Coffee saw my TJ-067 last summer and said it's all the roaster I'll ever need.
Gary, yes you'll definitely have to come by some time to check it out. Hopefully in a couple more weeks I'll have a really good handle on it as I'm quickly learning the ins and outs of this new roaster.

Anyhow, just saw this latest discussion on this thread and thought I'd jump in and try to clarify a few things. In my review of the BC-600 I made the following comment: "The fit and finish seem to be a step up from the handmade Arizona and North roasters as the BC roasters are factory made." This remark was intended to be more about cosmetic differences than any difference in quality or performance. The design of the North and Arizona roasters is a little boxier with more welds showing. It's a little more industrial kind of look compared to the BC roasters.

I agree with the other comments that the North and Arizona roasters are definitely "overbuilt" and the TJ-067 and AZ 1.5 will definitely handle a significantly larger batch size than my BC-600. My main decision factors in going with the BC-600 over the TJ-067 or AZ 1.5 was the overall size and weight of the roaster which makes it easier to handle, especially with a separate cooling tray, as I only needed about 800 grams of capacity. Plus I liked the integrated two PID design with USB connectivity and the overall layout and design of the roaster.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. The TJ-067 also has the benefit of having a larger community of roasters on HB using them, but I hope we'll soon have some more people using the BC roasters too.

SJM

#32: Post by SJM »

Here is a bit more information about the HUKY.
This video was taken at Sweet Marias in Oakland on Tuesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXcf6kx5nWM

Advertisement
brettpavia (original poster)

#33: Post by brettpavia (original poster) »

I get it... but i still think the BC600 is a better built machine.

however, without roasting with them side-by-side over time, I have no idea if one is better than the other.
Coffee fuels my passion for community, creativity, and social responsibility.

johnny4lsu

#34: Post by johnny4lsu »

i still think the BC600 is a better built machine
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm interested in why you think so.