Orphan Espresso LIDO E-T - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
flyklr

#11: Post by flyklr »

I received my Lido E-T a couple weeks ago. It's a good grinder, though the assembly quality is lower than what I'd expected for a $200 hand grinder.

The burrs were not properly aligned when I received it. I re-aligned them with help from the OE Hand Grinder You Tube video, comments on that video, and instructions on Stack Exchange. In the process of disassembly I discovered that the inner burr is chipped in a couple places. The alignment process is somewhat complicated. I'd liken it to building a bicycle wheel. Because of that, I'd be hesitant to recommend it to people that don't have some mechanical ability. Along those lines, bolt torque should be adjusted very subtlety; partly so you don't crack the plastic housing, partly because there's not a lot of adjustment range. I found it much easier to adjust with a Bondhus L-hex wrench, though you need to be careful with the extra torque.

I live in a dry climate, but as long as I grind a few minutes before brewing, the anti-static container seems to do it's job well and there is very little mess.

Getting customer support has been difficult. My order was filled incorrectly. I've emailed the support address numerous times about the incorrect order and the burr alignment problem and have yet to receive a response.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my investment. As others have written, the Lido has completely changed my coffee drinking experience. Shots from my 3 year old Brera are amazing compared to what they were with the now kaput built-in, ceramic burr grinder. I've also used the Lido for cold, drip, pour over, AeroPress and Turkish. All noticeably better than before the Lido.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#12: Post by orphanespresso »

Please send me a DM about your grinder, or your order - I have not received any emails from you.
Barb

ronnicus

#13: Post by ronnicus »

flyklr wrote:I received my Lido E-T a couple weeks ago. It's a good grinder, though the assembly quality is lower than what I'd expected for a $200 hand grinder.

The burrs were not properly aligned when I received it. I re-aligned them with help from the OE Hand Grinder You Tube video, comments on that video, and instructions on Stack Exchange. In the process of disassembly I discovered that the inner burr is chipped in a couple places. The alignment process is somewhat complicated. I'd liken it to building a bicycle wheel. Because of that, I'd be hesitant to recommend it to people that don't have some mechanical ability. Along those lines, bolt torque should be adjusted very subtlety; partly so you don't crack the plastic housing, partly because there's not a lot of adjustment range. I found it much easier to adjust with a Bondhus L-hex wrench, though you need to be careful with the extra torque.

I live in a dry climate, but as long as I grind a few minutes before brewing, the anti-static container seems to do it's job well and there is very little mess.

Getting customer support has been difficult. My order was filled incorrectly. I've emailed the support address numerous times about the incorrect order and the burr alignment problem and have yet to receive a response.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my investment. As others have written, the Lido has completely changed my coffee drinking experience. Shots from my 3 year old Brera are amazing compared to what they were with the now kaput built-in, ceramic burr grinder. I've also used the Lido for cold, drip, pour over, AeroPress and Turkish. All noticeably better than before the Lido.
Hey I have a Lido E-T as well but it has been impossible for me to align. I find that following those instructions on Stackexchange, I start to get burr rub around 1 turn from 0. I then lightly tighten the alignment screw where I first hear burr rub but instead of the rub going away like it should, there's still rub. I find I have to tighten that screw all the way and loosen the opposite screw all the way to avoid burr rub at 1 turn above zero. Am I doing something wrong or is it an issue with the burrs?

flyklr

#14: Post by flyklr »

ronnicus, I understand what you're saying because I experienced that myself at first. A few things that seemed to help me:

1) Removing the safety washer and bolt at the bottom. It's not really obvious in the video that Doug's doing the alignment with that bolt off until the end when he reinstalls it after he's finished.

2) Loosening all the alignment screws just to the point *before* they touch the plastic body.

3) Setting the adjustment ring to zero and locking the lock ring.

4) I did steps 2 & 3 with the grinder upside down, with the inner burr set as far as possible in the outer burr, a technique mentioned in the video comments.

5) I then flipped it over and set it on a flat surface rechecked that all the screws were slightly loose (Step 2). Then proceeded to aligning.

6) Making tiny, incremental adjustments to the alignment screws. A couple of times I tightened screws on the opposite side a bit to see if it affected where I was getting the rub. At one point that caused the rub to move to an alignment screw that had less torque.

7) If rub is between two screws, tighten screws on either side a bit.

Once I got it aligned at zero, I worked with it at -1 & -2. I got no rub at -1, and close at -2. I did clean all the parts with an air compressor before I started.

Hope that helps.

dominico
Team HB

#15: Post by dominico »

You may also find that they rub less after you have rum a few pounds of beans through them. I find that light roast beans are really good for seasoning burrs quickly.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

trees

#16: Post by trees »

I had a slight burr rub when my Lido E was brand new, never messed with it, choosing instead to run beans through it. After running a few pounds of coffee through, it works as expected. I haven't even considered messing with it since. It's a really nice little grinder and with the amount of traveling that I do, I don't know how I lived without it. It's a good buy.