Bodka Coffee "Ala Italia" - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
IMAWriter (original poster)

#11: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

Balthazar_B wrote:Anybody willing to post a taste test in direct comparison to Main Squeeze?
I'm game, though this comes from memory.
Main Squeeze smells awesome, even through the package. Needs about 6 days post roast. To me, it tastes like a traditional blend, in that you get the elements of one of those traditional Brazil, Sumatra, Central, maybe a bit of Ethiopian thing. It's very consistent and an easy grinder to machine coffee. it dopes well as an every day coffee, and a 5-6 oz cappa will do you fine.

Ala Italia is constructed a bit (to my taste) more on the lines of a typical Italian style blend, minus the Robusta and not as dark as some of the usual familiar names, and coffees like those mentioned in an Italian Coffee thread here on HB. More on the lines of smaller Italian roasters, not laVazza, etc. The crema is a bit richer than Main Squeeze, resembling the crema one sees with Dolce, not quite the hugeness of Malabar Gold.
When sipped, it presents itself in layers, with some "brooding" fruit...dark brandied cherry to my taste, somewhat similar to the older iteration of Klatch's "Belle" espresso, but with less citrus than Belle.

The kicker is the aftertaste, a buttery coating that has a slight butter aspect, and sweet wood...not tobacco or smoke. really lovely, IMO. The ONLY caveat, and a small one is it's not quite as easy to dial in as Main Squeeze, but once there, will stay consistent for several days straight. I recommend AT LEAST 7 days, preferably 8 days post roast...if you can wait that long. It was still quite tasty at 14 days, though the crema slightly diminished, replaced with a more "burnished" taste...maybe a better word is refined.

As to milk, truthfully, I enjoyed it so much straight, I'd have to go back and look at what I wrote regarding if I had any milk drinks with it.
There you go, to the best of my ability.

Advertisement
Balthazar_B

#12: Post by Balthazar_B »

Thanks, Rob, just took a flyer on some. Sounds like it'll make a nice contrast to Sermon, which I've been drinking lately. And had to use their current discount on *something*. :wink:

Also, just curious: have you tried it with any brewing method other than espresso?
- John

LMWDP # 577

IMAWriter (original poster)

#13: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to Balthazar_B »

No, just espresso.

borisblank

#14: Post by borisblank »

Balthazar_B wrote:Also, just curious: have you tried it with any brewing method other than espresso?
I enjoy Main Squeeze as drip so will give this a try, too.