Review: Finca El Paraiso - Koppi Coffee Roasters

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
HITS_DC

#1: Post by HITS_DC »

I posted this over on the Reddit coffee forum, and I'm cross-posting here for those that don't visit there very often. This is a really lovely coffee, and Koppi's free international shipping makes it very accessible. Just wanted to share the love!

________________________________________________________________________________
Finca El Paraiso - Koppi Coffee Roasters - Helsingborg, Sweden
________________________________________________________________________________
Region: Huila, Colombia
Producer: Ernedis Rodrigues
Varietal: Caturra, Colombia

Process: Dry fermented for 24 hours, dried in shade on raised beds
Elevation: 1850MASL
Method: Inverted Aeropress
Ratio, etc: 15g/210g @ 202F. Grind was medium-coarse (9 notches past 0 on the Lido 3). 60 gram initial pour, stir @ 30 seconds, pour to 210 grams. At 1:15 seconds, begin pressing. Should be done at 1:30, or as soon as you start to hear a hiss.
Aroma: Lightly floral, with a complex caramel sweetness
Palate: An instant mouth watering cherry bomb. The interplay between acidity and sweetness is immediately noticeable. As it cools down, it maintains its structure and loses none of its interesting qualities.
Finish/Mouthfeel: My tasting notes say "juicy fruit gum." The coffee lingers and leaves a pleasant whole-mouth coating, which meant i was taking more time between sips to enjoy the mouthfeel.
Final thoughts: I can't say I've had many coffees that have successfully captured such a perfect balance between acidity and sweetness. This is one of the best coffees I've had in a very long time.

My suggestion would be to find a friend and split a 4 bag order from Koppi-- comes out to $14/bag and free shipping. It will be worth your time. Reviews of Finca Tamana and Finca Wisaquillo coming soon!