"Total Control" on Mill City Roasters? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
brettpavia (original poster)

#11: Post by brettpavia (original poster) »

saw the video for the 1kg gas roaster, but not one for the 2kg roaster. ... the video did not show artisan prompting the person to follow a target roast profile, but i guess it is easy to set up.
Coffee fuels my passion for community, creativity, and social responsibility.

Army Coffee

#12: Post by Army Coffee »

Just received my a week ago and I am up and running good roasts already. There is a lot to learn compared to roasting on a Hottop, but my experience with the sights/sounds/smells on the Hottop did a lot to prepare me for it. You have a lot more control over the Mill City and I must add that Steve and Dave are there for you before, during and after the sale. They are wonderful people and I would recommend them 100%!

Gas Control, Variable Air and Drum Speed make for a very controlled roast once you get the hang of it. Artisan integrated seamlessly with the 3 Thermocouples and does a lot to help you to control your roast.

Drew
Living The Dream!
NEC ASPERRA TERRENT

#13: Post by brettpavia (original poster) »

What shows up on the artisan software?

Gas Control, Variable Air, and Drum Speed?

Have you ever tried to follow a "target" roast profile making adjustments to these variables during the roasting cycle?

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

Brett,

Artisan or other roast profiling software attaches to temperature sensors that are taking measurements inside the roaster. That software does not control the roasting process as it is currently set up. Artisan software is compatible with Windows and Apple OS/X operating systems. You can set audible alarms within Artisan, but tracking a roast is a more hands-on process and is easy with Mill City roasters. The 2Kg would work similarly to a 1Kg. The PID on the machine is measuring independently of the Artisan software and has its own sensor.

There is one North (Mill City) roaster user who is doing more to achieve or approach automation. His handle on Home-Barista is "slickrock." You might use the Search function, put that name in the Author space, and you can send a personal message to ask him what he's done to automate the roaster. I own a 1 Kg North roaster, and the 2 Kg roaster would work very similarly.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#15: Post by brettpavia (original poster) »

thanks ... great info

is the air flow and drum speed also tracked in the artisan software or just temp probes?

Army Coffee

#16: Post by Army Coffee replying to brettpavia »

Not tracked, but you can add notes to your profile.

Drew
Living The Dream!
NEC ASPERRA TERRENT

drgary
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary »

Things like airflow and drum speed may be trackable, but this would be done through modifications to what feedback goes into software from devices that control the airflow and drum speed. Are you considering the roaster for production use? I have seen a fluid bed roaster (bean movement is done by airflow) that is very programmable in the way you describe, but it is about double the cost.
Gary
LMWDP#308

robmatic

#18: Post by robmatic »

drgary wrote: ... Artisan software is compatible with Windows and Apple OS/X operating systems.
And Linux.

drgary
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary »

Thank you. That would follow, since the Mac OS is based on Linux, isn't it?
Gary
LMWDP#308

robmatic

#20: Post by robmatic replying to drgary »

No, it isn't. This might be a subtle distinction to non-computer-geeks, but both MacOS and Linux are types of Unix systems, but one is not based on the other.