Customizing your lever espresso machine and upgrading. What have you done?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
andpgud

#1: Post by andpgud »

I am now trying to get my gold brass Mcal leva up to order. My kitchen though is all pretty minimalistic and I was thinking about trying to make it all gold.
I know the silver might be a better choice, but I have always liked gold somehow. Would let it stand out from everything.
What do you guys think?
For now I have a custom tamper :)
Also show me your machines and tell us about them :)

rpavlis

#2: Post by rpavlis »

I have always had a severe hatred for plating on things that serves only a decorative purpose. I personally greatly prefer decent polymer coats on brass to chrome plated brass by a HUGE margin, but most people seem in love with the appearance of chrome. I have had far more problems with chrome plating deteriorating than decent brass polymer coats. Another huge advantage of polymer coated brass is that one can read the temperature of the system accurately using IR thermometers. If polymer coats deteriorate they can be quite easily coated again, re plating is a very more difficult proposition.

The copper plating on the Micro Casa A Leva base is a bad thing. It is a place where chrome plating would be better. In that sort of situation it can serve to protect the base from rusting. (An even better thing for Elektra to do would be to make these bases from Stainless.)

Many strongly disagree with me on this. However the idea of plating brass for appearance seems silly to me, when I feel the brass looks a lot better anyway. (On brass things that are constantly handled like portafilters and the like, bare brass is fine, just wiping such things after use keeps them shiny and bright.)

andpgud (original poster)

#3: Post by andpgud (original poster) »

yes. I think a whole brass machine would look super good.
You have to agree on that