Adding fine adjustment screw to Bunn/update - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

I'm reviving this thread to ask Dan's opinion in late 2017. Does this mod continue giving consistent results? What's your verdict?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

DJR (original poster)

#12: Post by DJR (original poster) »

In January 2016 I posted a description of how I added fine adjusting to the Bunn. It's not too often 5 year updates are posted on these types of threads.

So, for five years I've been grinding 25g of drip and 20g of espresso every morning. I can flip from one to the other in a split second. It takes less than 3 seconds to grind. No retention of drip and less than 1/2 gram on espresso. I weigh the espresso post grind and reduce it from 20g to 18.5.

I think the espresso is entirely adequate. As is the drip. I know many people are chasing the holy grail of grinders, but at some point, counter space and the desire to have a quick, great macchiato outweighs (for me), the theoretical advantages of ever increasingly expensive, large and admittedly beautiful grinders.

Maybe when the pandemic is history if there is a Bay Area meetup I'll bring my grinder and we can do some blind tasting. See image below. Also would like to add a link to my 5- year old post.

DJR (original poster)

#13: Post by DJR (original poster) »

Top image is a macchiato in a cup I threw earlier this year. I have been using my own glaze formulations and I really like a cup without a handle. Empress (Conti).

Bottom image shows my modified Bunn with the small knurled adjusting screw. Don't make them step less. It defeats one of the main advantages of the adjusting screw!

TomC
Team HB

#14: Post by TomC »

I've had great espresso and drip from this awesomely modified Bunn grinder over the years. Great to see you posting again Dan!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/