Americano - does the water go in before or after the espresso? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by JohnB. »

IMAWriter wrote:I ALWAYS have the 84c (or so) water ready, and pull the shot into that. Visually way more appealing. BTW, who the he!! cares what you call it? IMO, this is what a proper black/dark brown colored/coloured liquid SHOULD look like. YMMV :lol:
Read my later post & you'll see I changed my opinion. Pulling the shot into the water produces something I do not want to look at first thing in the morning. Motor oil indeed! Yuk!!
LMWDP 267

IMAWriter

#22: Post by IMAWriter replying to JohnB. »

:lol:

bean2friends

#23: Post by bean2friends »

I like to pull my shot onto the hot water. Then I can pour a little steamed milk in and treat it like a latte, even with some art such as it is. My wife and I each have 2 of these to start every day. It's an excellent drink and very light in calories compared to a real latte.

lagoon

#24: Post by lagoon »

JohnB. wrote:Read my later post & you'll see I changed my opinion. Pulling the shot into the water produces something I do not want to look at first thing in the morning. Motor oil indeed! Yuk!!
Shots on top of the water is the right way to do it. And the water shouldn't be boiling. 70-80C is about right.

To avoid the "oil slick" appearance, you need to run the stream(s) onto the sidewalls of the cup (ie: like pulling a beer). This "floats" the shot on top and preserves the crema.

If you let the shot pour right into the middle of the water, it will sink straight to the bottom and leave you with the oil slick look.

The other way to do it is to pull the shot into a shot glass then add it to the cup by a hand pour. Again, pour it onto the side of the cup.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by JohnB. »

lagoon wrote:Shots on top of the water is the right way to do it. And the water shouldn't be boiling. 70-80C is about right.
There is no "right" way. Only the way you choose to do it. I choose to add tea temp water to the shot. Works for me.
LMWDP 267

lagoon

#26: Post by lagoon »

JohnB. wrote:There is no "right" way. Only the way you choose to do it.
This is true, but there is certainly a "right way" to do it if your goal is a decent tasting beverage :)

Good article here on the topic:

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/dr ... 36j9y.html

yakster
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by yakster »

lagoon wrote:This is true, but there is certainly a "right way" to do it if your goal is a decent tasting beverage :)
By your tastes, maybe, but since taste is subjective I think it's a little more complicated than that.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by JohnB. »

lagoon wrote:This is true, but there is certainly a "right way" to do it if your goal is a decent tasting beverage :)

Good article here on the topic:

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/dr ... 36j9y.html

The author obviously prizes the taste of crema more then I do if he wants it floating on top of his morning coffee. When you add the water to the shot the crema gets mixed in as does the flavor. I drink these every morning & they are far better then "decent tasting".
LMWDP 267