Quick LIDO Update

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
MJW

#1: Post by MJW »

Orphan Espresso sent me an updated LIDO E part, that replaces the middle bearing mount. This piece is a casting that fits into the lower end of the hopper tube, and it holds the middle bearing.

The new part positions the bearing higher up, away from the burr, putting more room between the bearing and the burr to improve bean flow. I believe the new part also covers the ring burr just a little more than the old part, so that the ring burr doesn't provide a shelf for the beans to rest on.

The new part has eliminated bean feed problems for me. Initially, with the old part I had had minor bean feed problems but over time (maybe with different beans) it started to happen all the time and required several shakes to get the beans unlocked. This new part is a very welcome improvement.

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

Would you mind posting a photo showing the difference?
Chris

dominico
Team HB

#3: Post by dominico »

Is that the mysterious "grinder part" product for 22 bucks that has been in the parts section of their site for a month with no description?
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing replying to dominico »

The mysterious part has disappeared, so we will never know :)

At the OE website, Lido2 pic showing new raised support. For comparison, LidoE pic showing previous support

Interesting that both OE and Knock (in Feldgrind 1.2) arrived at the same solution of raising the bearing above the burr for greater bean clearance.

I wonder if an above-the-burr bearing mount will be made available separately - my Lido2 seems to work fine with no bearing above the burr, but the additional bearing must offer some improvement ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

dominico
Team HB

#5: Post by dominico »

I have a Lido E with the current upper bearing design, I haven't really had issues with stalling except on coffees with really big beans. I am going to buy a folding handle when it becomes available though.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by jwCrema »

Just got my Lido E on Sunday; my first grinds with it where this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised. No 5 lbs of stale coffee to season it, just did a grind and go.

dominico
Team HB

#7: Post by dominico replying to jwCrema »

Did yours come with the flat upper bearing or the raised upper bearing?

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by jwCrema »

Should have mentioned that - mine does *not* have the raised bearing. It has the flat bearing as shown in the Lido E picture in this thread. I am so happy with it I am going turn off the Mazzer for a while to go back to hand grinding to get some coffee oil on the burrs.