Alternative KitchenAid grinder catch cup

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by pizzaman383 »

I have a KitchenAid Proline grinder that we use for drip coffee. I couple of weeks ago the glass catch cup broke. It lasted three years which is 2 1/2 years longer than I thought it would. I decide to try and find an alternative to getting yet another breakable glass replacement part.

Here's what I came up with. I found a stainless steel cup camping mug that was the right diameter and height and I was able to embedded it into a piece of claro walnut. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by FotonDrv »

Nice looking!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

SonVolt

#3: Post by SonVolt »

I ordered an extra glass catch-cup when I got my KitchenAid grinder all those years ago because I knew I'd eventually break it. I haven't yet. You can also use a latte mug - my IPA mugs fit exactly in the seat of the grinder with just enough room to fit a small AWS scale underneath. Ghetto Vario-W.

As for the quality of the grind - If this grinder wasn't so aesthetically pleasing I'd have chunked it out in the yard years ago. It produces an inordinate amount of fines. I pulled the burrs out Saturday and they were really, really dull. I need to look into the mazzer burr upgrade. Having to sift out ~5g+ of fines for every cup of pour-over is getting expensive.

thm655321

#4: Post by thm655321 »

The Mazzer burr kit is no longer available so you would be DIY.

BTW, I have broken that cup a couple of times. I have since retired that grinder, but the glass cup is used for the HG One when grinding 65 grams for drip. Works perfectly (until I break the cup of course).

SonVolt

#5: Post by SonVolt »

thm655321 wrote:The Mazzer burr kit is no longer available so you would be DIY.

Maybe it's time for me to retire it then as well. Such as shame.