Baratza Vario for both espresso/pourover or dedicated grinder? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jcw5002

#11: Post by jcw5002 »

I have a dedicated brew grinder (Virtuoso w/ the "new" 586 burrs) and it makes a fantastic pour over. I think it'd be worth spending the extra money for the Virtuoso vs. the Encore, but the Precisio would be unnecessary for just a brew grinder. I have a dedicated espresso grinder and it's great to pull a shot of espresso to sip on as I'm making my morning pour over. :D

reinseth

#12: Post by reinseth »

Hi, I'm a new poster in this forum (have been reading it for a while), but thought I'd weigh in considering I've just swapped out a Virtuoso.

I had really big problems getting a good result using a V60. I tried for a long time, working to make the brew process consistent (including water temperature), but could not get consistent or predictable results. Maybe there was a problem with the grinder, I don't know.

Anyways, I sold the Virtuoso and got at Forte BG, and it is night and day. The V60 results are now predictable (when changing the grind level, the result of the V60 changes accordingly).

Also, maybe not important, but the Forte is a lot more practical. Easier to empty the bin into the center of the V60, no static (the virtuoso has a really bad spray when you remove / replace the bin), and MUCH more quiet.

r.rowlan

#13: Post by r.rowlan »

Helpful info on the difference in static. I am surprised there was a significant difference between the Virtuoso and Encore.

roxtc

#14: Post by roxtc »

I would second everything that's been said. I contacted Baratza about the issue and they've recommended blue loctite on the calibration screw. I'm going to give that a go to see if it'll help stabilize the settings but otherwise the settings do slip quite a bit if you jump between brewing/espresso.

However, I will say that I'd buy the Vario again in a heartbeat.
1. You'd have to spend much more money to get anything that gives you a better quality cup and still probably won't do both methods well. If you go down to something like a Virtuoso, then you really shouldn't be doing espresso with it.
2. Footprint and grind retention is awesome. One of the smallest grinders and only retains 1 - 2 grams of coffee is heaven and necessary in some spaces.
3. If you ever come into more money, you can purchase a better espresso grinder and for the Vario, you can throw some steel burrs on it and now you have a pretty great brew grinder. (Or you may even be satisfied with the ceramic)
4. Great people working at Baratza when you have issues

RyanJE (original poster)

#15: Post by RyanJE (original poster) »

I got a Virtuoso to dedicate to pour over and the results are MUCH better. I don't have near the fines (at least by appearance) and my results taste better. It APPEARS to produce a more consistent grind and drip settings.

I had OK results with the V60 so switched to the Kalita Wave.

So far, the Virtuoso and Wave are working well as my dedicated pour over set up.

I find that if I tilt the bin just right on the Virtuoso while pulling out / putting in, it leaves the grounds where they are in the chute.

Later in the day, give the button a press and the left over grounds should drop into the bin then.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

RC15

#16: Post by RC15 »

Congrats on the Virtuoso decision.

I recently looked into upgrading from a Virtuoso to a Vario with steel burrs--exclusively for pourovers (V60 and Kalita). After several pounds of coffee and many hours fidgeting with the Vario's grind settings, I finally concluded I had lost flavor notes and picked up some fines in the meantime. The Vario has since been demoted to backup grinder status, and the Virtuoso has returned to pourover duty.

For me the Virtuoso edges out the Vario with steel burrs when it comes to flavor in the cup, as well as ease of use.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#17: Post by baldheadracing replying to RC15 »

Interesting! - and I echo congrats to the OP. It is v. nice to see people report back on their decisions.

I would suspect that the Ditting burrs would show an advantage at coarser grinds for immersion brewing ... which reminds me, it is time to do maintenance on my Vario :idea:
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Almico

#18: Post by Almico »

When I first stumbled upon HB over a year ago I made fun of people talking about all the grinders they had. I thought to myself "do you really need 6 coffee grinders".

Fast forward to today, I now own 12. All get used at some point, but a few way more than the others.

My dedicated espresso grinder is the Pharos. I can't imagine wanting anything else. I love the tactile nature of being able to feel the roast.

For pourovers, it's a Forte BG. Again, love it.

The Lido II goes with me everywhere and the Grindmaster 890 does bulk duties.

RyanJE (original poster)

#19: Post by RyanJE (original poster) »

Yea, even a few months ago I would have never thought of owing 2 grinders! Now it makes perfect sense...tell that to my wife tho. :P

It's much easier to get consistent grind out of both now that I don't switch between setting much on either.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....