Recent Posts

by armindillo, 52 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 2386 Views: 173030

The Arrarex Caravel

I've also struggled with stuck heating elements but managed to get unstuck by taking off the reflector unit and then unscrewing the ceramic from the reflector until all that is left stuck to the heating element is 2 sleeves around the terminals. At that point I've been able to use pliers in each hand to twist off the sleeves while
by bicktrav, 53 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 2099 Views: 149168

Greens Alert

Your pics and description make it sound exactly like Klatch's Super Wush Wush. That one had a very mottled, almost brown appearance and loads of ferment/vinegar. I enjoyed it, but it's a polarizing style
by baristainzmking, Today, 12:38 am in Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 3 Views: 216

Starbucks Reserve experience

I stopped going to Starbucks the day they switched from La Marzocco to the automatic machines they are using now. It's been years!
by ronlangara, Yesterday, 11:57 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 13 Views: 471

What would you do with a possibly lemon of an espresso machine?

Thanks for all the suggestions! Bluenoser: I have indeed followed the Odyssey Argo. Sounds enticing, but, from my inexperienced perspective very similar to a La Pavoni, though supposedly less expensive which is not unappreciated. I cannot overstate that I would be (if I go that's way) a complete lever newbie. Vecchi Della Seattle: My apologies for upsetting your equilibrium
by homeburrero, Yesterday, 11:42 pm in Water
Replies: 1 Views: 50

WLL/SCA Water Recipe Batch

Yes, the WLL SCA recipe makes up a weak bicarbonate and strong magnesium concentrate solution relative to the amounts you need to use in the final mix. Not sure why. You have to mix up more of the bicarbonate concentrate as you use it to make your final water. Your calculation looks right to me as
by GDM528, Yesterday, 11:39 pm in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 21 Views: 819

Ikawa Home vs Bullet

Ok, this is lighter, but still not "light": {image} This roast shows what might be a slight exothermic bump just before first-crack was heard. Initial results look medium, but will likely evolve a bit over the next few days. Here's the recipe: {link} Could be a challenge to go any lighter and still keep the
by homeburrero, Yesterday, 11:28 pm in Water
Replies: 5 Views: 97

Water loses TDS with time?

I agree with Nico that precipitation would not be a factor here. You do need to consider the fact that once you add the KHCO3 and the MgSO4 together, your precipitation concern would be MgCO3 and Mg(OH)2 from chemistry of the dissolved Mg++ and HCO3- ions . But at this concentration and low temperatures you still expect no
by crwper, Yesterday, 11:13 pm in Grinders
Replies: 10 Views: 230

Cleaning Eureka Grinders

A couple of things came to mind reading this post. First, I recall noticing the same thing the first time I opened my Eureka Mignon Specialita. The screws holding the top burr carrier in place were slightly rounded off. Nothing major, but it was a bit of a surprise to see damage to the screws on a new grinder. Maybe
by heytchap, Yesterday, 10:57 pm in Grinders
Replies: 1754 Views: 208971

Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O)

No. Band is dead
by beanman, Yesterday, 10:46 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 6 Views: 290

Upgraditus - Mod La Spaziale Vivaldi II, or a new espresso machine?

Thanks for all the inputs. I wasted the day surfing the net. CoffeeMac, the Londinium Compressa does look nice. Are the steam and hot water joy stick valves? That might be a no-go because my afternoon drinks are cortados, and I steam 2 oz of milk in a 5 oz picture. I think