Recent Posts

by GDM528, 3 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 217 Views: 7079

New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity

Is there a teardown of the Ikawa out there somewhere? I had been speculating the temperature control feedback loop might work off the temperature of the heater (rather than the airflow) to minimize the loop delay (helps control stability). However, it would improve accuracy if the temp was taken from the actual airflow, but I have a hard time reconciling...
by Marmot, 29 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 1 Views: 76

Kaffeemacher.ch massive test of 24 espresso grinders - coming/in-progress

Hey! It's funny to find this here already I live in switzerland and can help you out with the language or any other information if you need it. They already tested a lot of espresso machines and are very thorough in their testing. I just wish they would add more high end grinders to the list. But that might happen...
by GDM528, 32 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting

Bingo! That Kapton tape is rated to about 400C. I started with a conventional Type-K thermocouple and stripped off all the asbestos cladding, 'cause "asbestos roast" doesn't sound very appealing. Also needed to fit under the glass cover without interrupting the seal. relaminated the wires onto a couple strips of narrow and wider Kapton so it could hug the side...
by mgrayson, 34 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting

In my roasting to date, no batch size (usually 50g-75g, once 100g) with any Ikawa supplied profile has passed "medium", as defined by grinding some Klatch medium roast and looking at the ground coffee side by side. The legacy Full City Second Crack profile posted above yields ground coffee matching Nossa Familia's Theodoro's Italian roast (4 out of 5 flames)....
by cafeIKE, 41 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 19 Views: 430

Rocket Giotto Premium Plus - Very long time before water comes out of grouphead

It depends on the cam face wear. If the cam has a smooth contour and doesn't look like it has a flat spot, it's ok. FWIW, I rebuild about every 5 years [≈6k shots plus 6k pre- plus 6k post-flush actuations = ≈35k+ swipes] and even with lubing, the cam develops a flat spot. It's likely not an issue, but...
by bean2friends, 42 minutes ago in Coffees
Replies: 9 Views: 234

What Indonesian coffee is wow'ing you? (an attempt to break the stereotype)

I've been buying Orang Utan greens from Theta Ridge and roasting it to a medium - that is for me I get first crack at 390. I finish it at 420. I find it an easy coffee to roast and a delightful coffee to drink as an Americano.
by Cremaniac, 51 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 18 Views: 376

PID on Olympia Cremina

I set my '82 Cremina Pstat set for 1.2 bar. Entire machine plugs into this setup, boiler temp (104c) on top PID gives .75 bar for brewing. I just bump up 10 106 for steam and let Pstat do its thing when frothing. No permanent mods to the Cremina. Lower PID is strictly inlet group temp indicator. 2"dia. 2 bar...
by CoolBeanz, Today, 3:48 pm in Espresso Machines
Replies: 60 Views: 4064

The Picopresso

Here is a pic with the screen on the stock basket and one with the la pavoni single. Same screen. {image} {image}
by cannonfodder, Today, 3:43 pm in Marketplace
Replies: 1681 Views: 277943

Custom Wood for your Espresso Machine

ineedespresso@sbcglobal.net, drop me an email