Recent Posts

by baldheadracing, 2 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 180 Views: 5806

New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity

I haven't signed for a package since the pandemic started. My experience has been that the sender has to specifically request "no drop" or the package will be left. I find it mildly terrifying when a multi-thousand dollar item is just dropped on my front porch. They used to not knock as well until I put a sign on my...
by chug, 5 minutes ago in Water
Replies: 4 Views: 219

Good option after I move to a soft water area?

Piggy backing off this thread as a newbie with a question: why do you need to harden soft water? Is it strictly for taste? I just used the API GH/KH test kit, and both are 36ppm. Aside from a basic fridge filter, is there anything else I should be doing?
by GDM528, 49 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 180 Views: 5806

New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity

My Ikawa Home arrived in 11 days to the west coast USA, via DHL. This includes the shipment being "On Hold" for 3 days in Cincinnati for no stated reason. It started moving again after I contacted DHL customer service to investigate. I did not request "no signature" delivery, and despite that it was left at my door without any...
by baldheadracing, 57 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 8 Views: 133

La Pavoni leakage from top of grouphead/ thermometer

Both ends of that fitting (between the piston rod and the gauge) are secured with thread sealant. You can also use PTFE tape. Be sure to clean off the old thread sealant before applying tape. Make sure to adjust the lock nut so that the piston does not hit the shower screen, and secure the lock nut with a wrench...
by Nauticus, Today, 12:02 am in Espresso Machines
Replies: 8 Views: 9742

ECM Mechanika V Slim, review

Thank you for the very thorough review! I am currently trying to decide between the Mechanika V Slim and the Technika V Profi PID machines. I am solely a latte/cappuccino drinker and not sure how much the PID on the Tech V will help for the extra cost. I do like the joystick valves on the Tech V, but without...
by dandua98, Yesterday, 11:57 pm in Espresso Machines
Replies: 611 Views: 74584

Lelit MaraX

Should I time my shots from first drip on the Mara or from the moment I raise the lever? The pre-infusion is 10-12s for me so ideal time from lever pull is mostly around 40s, which seems way off from what you'd see online. I know it doesn't matter as long as I time from the same point consistently, but...
by decent_espresso, Yesterday, 11:32 pm in Marketplace
Replies: 869 Views: 90205

Decent Espresso news

{image} Why do we make these 360º videos? I was asked by a few people, "why are you putting these 360º videos up? What's the point", for example, this: A good part of it is that forcing transparency on my staff, causes them to be MUCH more attentive to problems. If they let a machine through that has a scratch...
by PortentPorpoise, Yesterday, 10:51 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 10 Views: 1128

Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2021 Sales, Codes, etc.

I just got the Ethiopia (King's Prize) and I'm liking it. Just ordered the Kenya, but I haven't tried it yet.
by yakster, Yesterday, 10:28 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 10 Views: 1128

Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2021 Sales, Codes, etc.

Any recommendations for Red Bay?
by michael, Yesterday, 10:15 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 5 Views: 437

Decent DE1XL or DE1XXL? Or Synesso Home?

So when's the synessco home coming