Recent Posts

by daggerNC, 3 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 4 Views: 90

I can't do it :-( Every shot of espresso tastes bitter

Fair question, as I think I only tried pure espresso once or twice before, at that was a long time ago and it wasn't very good back then. But I've had some really outstanding latte's and Cappuccino's in the past. So, I may never wind up being a pure shot-only kind of espresso drinker, but I need to learn what...
by Smitward, 10 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques

Since you're in NC, Gray Squirrel in Carrboro has a classic style espresso blend that is easier to dial in for me than some of the stuff from counter culture or little waves. I really like both counter culture and little waves but the Main Street blend from Gray squirrel is a great blend that you can really get to...
by DamianWarS, 20 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 29 Views: 3599

1Zpresso J-Max review

I'm a little confused over this as well with reviews even leaning toward an espresso focus and the JX-Pro a better option for brew. The burr geometry to me looks very similar to the JX-Pro, if not identical, and I get the MAX is designed for espresso but why is the JX-Pro apparently a better grinder for filter and the...
by brickbot, 22 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 3 Views: 67

Channeling on new Ceado E37S - with and without WDT

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it's not specific to the bean - I've been pulling shots for months on this roast. It did occur to me that I'm onto a new bag that I haven't ground in the Virtuoso yet, so I'll double check that and report back if it's got similar problems. That's a great idea to look into...
by Sib, 35 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques

Perhaps you just don't like espresso, and prefer milk drinks/filter/some other form of coffee? How often have you drunk an espresso and thought: "That was lovely!"..?
by vrosalescfd, Today, 9:21 pm in Espresso Machines
Replies: 13 Views: 394

Finding temperature offset from boiler to grouphead

Hello In my case I attached the probe between one of the screw heads and the boiler wall show in the image. {image} The original image is here: {link} I found the bottom screws more confortable to place the long metal probe. Be sure to make good contact of the tip of the probe with the metal of the boiler.
by graphidz, Today, 9:10 pm in Grinders
Replies: 149 Views: 31767

New Eureka Mignon Single Dose Grinder

Tried one today at a local reseller and to be honest it's not up to the hype. Maybe it's a preproduction unit (which I do hope it is). The sales rep showed me the inside and what their impressions were and they also said it's a good grinder just with any Eureka grinder. But nothing special really. Too bad they...
by boshk, Today, 9:01 pm in Espresso Machines
Replies: 13 Views: 394

Finding temperature offset from boiler to grouphead

I made my own cheap thermometer, nowhere near as good as a Scace but it gave me an idea of my brew temp. {video} Welcome to check it out, just fast forward to half way in the video.... It says E1 Prima but it will work for any machine with a portafilter of any size. The only consideration is that...
by Sideshow, Today, 8:51 pm in Knockbox
Replies: 2 Views: 132

Does splitting a double espresso have a different taste?

Different strokes. I don't mix the layers. I like to see the evolution of the shot as I drink it, to brighter, more intense bitters and sours at first, too more sweetness at the bottom. There's no one right way to the mountain top
by jgey926, Today, 8:41 pm in Buy/Sell
Replies: 0 Views: 96

[FS] DE1+ 1.4 and Sheldon Drip Tray

I am selling my DE1+ 1.4, which I took delivery of in February 2021. The machine is in great shape and comes with the items listed below. Selling because I have found that I much prefer the manual espresso experience and so will be using my Cremina going forward. I am looking for $4,000 for everything listed below. At the...