Recent Posts

by Primacog, 3 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 21 Views: 519

La Marzocco GS3 MP or Slayer vs any E61 double boiler PID espresso machine with a Flow Control Device installed

Having been reading up on opinions on the synesso and gs3, it appears that they were made to pressure or flow profiling while the slayer was made to be able to do long pre infusions and to do blooming shots. Am I wrong to think that these two dimensions were originally inspired by the abilities of the traditional lever machine
by jrham12, 39 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 11 Views: 173

Small leak from steam wand on ECM Synchronika

Alessio, The aggressive stream you see once the machine is fully warmed up may be the beginning of flash boiling. Check out this very educational post from Jim Schulman: "Getting accurate shot temperature displays on PIDed double boilers without a thermometer" to check the PID offset of your new machine. As Jim explains, the temperature you
by bgnome, 51 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 1 Views: 25

What to look for in a used BDB?

One thing to look for is whether it is a 900 or 920 model. The 900 is no longer supported so Breville is no longer providing parts for it. Look for a black drain plug in the lower front of the machine, just above the drip tray over by the steam wand. This allows you to drain
by DaumierS, Today, 8:16 pm in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 19 Views: 208

Replacing La Marzocco GS3 vacuum breaker

I think I identified the problem. Still waiting for the heating element for my steam boiler to arrive, but what caused the problem in question? I tried to drain the steam boiler, but apparently it was empty. No water. When I disconnect the water level probe from the boiler, though, the pump starts to fill it with water
by baldheadracing, Today, 7:33 pm in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 16 Views: 316

Lever groups and their compatibility - Conti vs Victoria Arduino Athena

That's also about what I paid as well way back when. Ah well, inflation seems to be back
by cedar, Today, 7:27 pm in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 0 Views: 16

Lever bearing type for LSM group?

Nuova Ricambi lists two kinds of lever bearings for the LSM lever group here: {link} The first has 10 roller bearings in a cage: {image} {image} The second 18 free-floating rollers: {image} The SproParts page indicates the former is made by SM {link} DVG and CafeParts only list the latter Does anyone
by Iowa_Boy, Today, 7:00 pm in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 7 Views: 191

Allio Bullet - Advice on Brazil roast curve?

Thank you again! I think I was not preheating long enough, which was why the BT/IBTS probes weren't better coordinated. Today, I did what I should have done before, which is preheat until the Bullet said Charge, instead of loading beans much sooner. Also changed the drum speed to D7. The first roast today was the Bombe, but once
by Dog_Two, Today, 6:37 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 1 Views: 25

What to look for in a used BDB?

I've all but settled on upgrading from my 2007 Gaggia Coffee to a Breville Dual Boiler. They are a bit scarce it seems but I can get a black one direct from Breville I think. On the other hand, I may have an opportunity to pick up a used BDB locally for less than $900. Never having used a
by FaantastiK, Today, 6:28 pm in Marketplace
Replies: 4 Views: 263

Barista Carl's Blend - Sustainable Latte Art Practice!

Is the idea that we should be adding some to a cup with dye and then pouring the "milk" on top to practice? I can't imagine that anyone would be wasting espresso shots to practice latte art
by pizzaman383, Today, 6:25 pm in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 16 Views: 316

Lever groups and their compatibility - Conti vs Victoria Arduino Athena

I paid $20 for it some years ago