Recent Posts

by francesco_ITA, 9 minutes ago in Water
Replies: 15 Views: 572

Bottled water mix suggestions for espresso machine

Indeed...the 1/2 factor, little but crucial details, all good, thanks again nick and homeburrero!!
by Pressino, 16 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 6 Views: 93

Flow control: Can a boiler pressure gauge be used instead of a grouphead one?

The boiler pressure gauge usually reads from 0 to 3 bar, so it wouldn't be suitable for measuring brew pressure, even if you could install one at the brew chamber. The best solution for HX e61 machines would be to install a dual reading temp/pressure gauge with the appropriate ranges in the access hole (which is used for maching access...
by homeburrero, 17 minutes ago in Water
Replies: 15 Views: 572

Bottled water mix suggestions for espresso machine

Nikos is spot on. Each value in a mix needs to be multiplied by its fraction of the mix. In your bicarbonate example: HCO₃⁻ : 74 mg/L * 0.5 + 24 mg/L * 0.5 = 49 mg/L And converting that to CaCO3 equivalent, 49 * 0.82 = 40.2 The amounts of carbonate (CO₃²⁻ ), bicarbonate (HCO₃⁻ ), and carbonic acid...
by Kristijan, 18 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 0 Views: 7

DeLonghi Dedica first use

Hi i just bought DeLonghi Dedica 685 and i love it At first use i immediately made espresso and didn't follow the instructions manual to rinse the internal circuit first. I pressed the double espresso button and it started making loud noise and nothing happened, there was no flow of coffee. Same at the second try, and then after third...
by Nunas, 18 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 1 Views: 80

Coffee roasting machine - Help needed

Kia ora, The biggest batch I've tried on my Quest M6 is 640 grams; I think it would do slightly more, but not a kilo. Have you looked at the Allio Bullet? When I bought my M6, the Bullet was also on my short list. I opted for the Quest because it is so dirt simple that anyone can easily...
by cassady, 27 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 2 Views: 42

Quickmill Anita - No water from grouphead.

Thanks, Nico. I pulled the gasket and shower screen and cleaned off the dispersion screw (which was filthy -- oops). Got down to the brass, and tried to get the screw off, first with a big flathead screwdriver, then with a flattened washer in a pair of vice grips (I saw this advice here on a thread); neither worked (although...
by HB, 28 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 6 Views: 93

Flow control: Can a boiler pressure gauge be used instead of a grouphead one?

Not without tapping into the brew chamber directly. That's what mohninme did in "Lelit Mara - HX Profiler Conversion": {image} AndyH followed suit in "Izzo Alex E61 HX Profiler Conversion mod". In theory, you could cap off the existing gauge tee and reuse the existing brew pressure gauge for flow control monitoring.
by Pressino, 29 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 4 Views: 187

Reducing waste: Is it possible to use less coffee for tuning espresso?

One thing that can reduce the amount of wasted coffee whilst dialing in your espresso is using flow control during the extraction (on machines that let you do that). Using an open portafilter makes it even easier to spot just how the extraction is proceding so you can adjust the flow to compensate for problems due to grind size, puck...
by BaristaBoy E61, 30 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 1 Views: 99

Upgraded La Marzocco Linea Mini or GS3

From a resale point of view too many questions loom large to the quality and effectiveness of the highly modified machine that would make it unattractive to most buyers that might be otherwise interested. I would step up to the commercially produced machine that incorporates the features that I would want and make cashing out a simpler venture.