Recent posts

by pumpkinscastle
5 minutes ago
Forum: Grinders
Replies: 19
Views: 659

Differences between Ww core 80mm and Ssp 83mm HU in espresso

Not really in my view. They are my daily burr set for both filter and espresso. The latter works fine, but yes, you are in the very fine grind range. However, consistency is great in the espresso range as well. I see no problems producing 1:2 shots from 18 grams of light roast coffees at approx 6.5 bar brew pressure
by exidrion
10 minutes ago
Forum: Tips and Techniques
Replies: 7
Views: 93

7g VST/LM Single Shot Basket Tips

Only way to get dry pucks is to updose, but that defeats the purpose of a single. My tips: - Don't use the prewet feature if youre pulling Italian roasts - use the LM1 basket - Shoot for a time of 20-25 seconds
Advertisement
by smac88
13 minutes ago
Forum: Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 6
Views: 136

Switching between Flair 58 and Robot - grind size?

Okay, so if I typically dose 18g in the VST basket, are talking like 16g in the Robot?
by Milligan
16 minutes ago
Forum: Coffee Brewing
Replies: 1
Views: 15

Cold brew coffee.

I find that cold brew is very sensitive to the grind. While "the internet" likes to trivialize cold brew and make it seem like it is easy to throw whatever beans in there, I've found quite the opposite. Too light and you get a weak, acid forward brew that does not dilute well. Too dark and it tastes
by Jonk
19 minutes ago
Replies: 6
Views: 136

Switching between Flair 58 and Robot - grind size?

So you're likely using a fairly fine grind with that VST basket. If you don't want to change the setting you'd need to dose a bit less in the Robot basket or perhaps pre-infuse for longer
by hercdeisel
21 minutes ago
Forum: Coffee Roasting
Replies: 17
Views: 572

Highest chance of success - roasters

I don't know how I'm finding myself defending this....it's not the way I roast...but Royal Coffee posts different roast profiles for the Bullet (and I assume other roasters) for all of the crown jewels that they sell. You're not getting one sized fits all roast profile. Obviously if you roast under significantly different environmental conditions than they do, you'll
by SteveRhinehart
28 minutes ago
Forum: Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 11
Views: 180

General question about handling cafe drink quality

To tack onto Jake's last point: I've been that barista whose perfectly dialed-in shots (to my palate) made a customer scrunch up their nose due to sourness (to their palate). Tolerance and interpretation of bitter and sour are subjective. In the case of a customer telling me that what I interpret as a sweet and well balanced shot is in
by woytovich
38 minutes ago
Replies: 3
Views: 76

La Peppina drip tray needed

Any other thoughts or options?
by Pigeontree
43 minutes ago
Forum: Espresso Machines
Replies: 8
Views: 232

Espresso shot - coffee appears immediately - problem?

You're missing the point that everyone is making, you're hung up on the "golden ratio" of 1:2 in 30s, this is simply a ballpark for people who are new to the hobby, start there, sure, but then dial in by flavor. As someone else said, they dial in so that their first drop doesn't even hit the cup until
by ron231
50 minutes ago
Forum: Grinders
Replies: 19
Views: 659

Differences between Ww core 80mm and Ssp 83mm HU in espresso

Ultra for espresso is quite limited