Recent Posts

by another_jim, less than a minute ago in Grinders
Replies: 2 Views: 49

Eureka Atom Pro High Pitched Noise

Run the grinder without beans and turn the grind setting finer until the burrs chirp for real (i.e. when they start touching). Then back off. If it is something transient, that will fix it. If it doesn't, you will have to level the bottom burr (the bottom burr got slightly untrued in transport). You can use the site google for...
by Jeff, 1 minute ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 2 Views: 100

Eureka Specialita vs Niche Zero vs upcoming Eureka single dose models

For me, it would come down to how much you want what of the benefits of a grinder designed for single dosing, the cost of your coffee, and how much you value workflow against other considerations. Some of the coffees I buy come in 100 g bags. Even before considering the price, I don't want to waste any. I own...
by Gjdakin, 5 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 0 Views: 4

Identify boiler type of Mini Gaggia

I have just read through this thread "Getting to know the Mini Gaggia" were it was stated that there is a version of the Mini Gaggia that has a brass boiler. I was wondering if anyone knows how to identify the versions of the machine that have such a boiler. Thanks!
by cafeIKE, 5 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 7 Views: 125

SB E61+PID, Episode 2: Tested properly this time, with much better results

If you do much of this, and your TC wire is not molded at the plug, be aware that coffee will be forced down the sheath and may leak into the datalogger. Learned this lesson over 15 years ago For this reason, either use an extension or carefully cut a n exit gap in the sheath at a convenient location....
by Pressino, 7 minutes ago in Coffee Brewing
Replies: 1 Views: 27

Hario Air pourover kettle and microwave safety

I'm guessing that Hario would advise against use in a microwave due to concerns about leaching potentially hazardous chemicals (in this case perhaps pthalates) rather than physical damage, like an explosion. That's just a guess.
by Ruben, 8 minutes ago in Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 12 Views: 329

Good espresso/barista in Los Angeles?

3 weeks is good. There are so many roasters nowadays. Ruben
by Jeff, 16 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 7 Views: 125

SB E61+PID, Episode 2: Tested properly this time, with much better results

For me, brew temperature is "a number", not an absolute. It's important to me that "94" (for example) repeatedly represents close to the same temperature. I don't really care if that is 92.6 or 96.5, because I can get to the point where "normal" is 94 on my scale and 92 is "on the cooler side" and 96 is "on...
by mkane, 18 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 30 Views: 1738

DRIP Coffee: Baratza Virtuoso vs Niche Zero?

Fourth cup, this time with the HG-1. Same coffee, 3:15 drawdown. Very clean top to bottom. A bit less sweet. Either one is very good for PO. We bought the HG-1 because it is very quiet compared to an electric grinder. It's messy so it lives out in the shop.
by Pressino, 30 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 10 Views: 660

Got this mexican-made lever machine, any thoughts?

Ok, I get it the point...but there are also several other machines that have the same general Bauplan and "look." The off-center group placement, however, is a fairly large design difference. That's the only point I wanted to make.
by Pressino, 36 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 2 Views: 91

Cleaning E61 grouphead (stubborn hard water stains)

I wouldn't use any kind of abrasive cleanser on either the chromed or polished stainless steel parts an espresso machine. Even the ones (like the brand you mentioned) that claim to have "never scratched" could dull a polished metal surface.