Recent Posts

by BaristaBoy E61, less than a minute ago in Grinders
Replies: 3 Views: 37

Repository of electrical measurements from grinders

Here are my 'measurements' with a Fluke 'True RMS' multimeter done as Assaf has mentioned above with an inductive coupler on 1-side of the AC line measuring millivolts AC multiplied AC line voltage. Meter set to capture 100ms peak, min. & max. Peak measured 1,048.32 watts Avg. measured 851.76 watts For what it's worth...
by cafeIKE, 4 minutes ago in Grinders

I have 4 grinders, the tools and the knowledge how to do it I've measured just about every other espresso related parameter, but for the life of me can't think why I would care.
by Jasper_8137, 11 minutes ago in Marketplace
Replies: 35 Views: 892

New Jackrabbit Coffee Give-Away

Just as Bob stated, I'm psyched to win and am looking forward to pulling some great shots and posting my thoughts. Thanks to jackrabbit coffee and of course HB and the entire community - I get so much joy and knowledge from this site, I truly appreciate everyone's involvement! Jasper
by AssafL, 16 minutes ago in Knockbox
Replies: 6 Views: 323

Acaia Scale - Battery Tune-Up Program

Don't throw it away! You know you could open the thing and just replace the battery with any LiIon battery pack you buy on eBay (which they ship in all kinds of fake electronics to get around LiIon shipping restrictions). You'll need the connector so just cut the wires, solder the new ones and voila...
by ClintFeedwood, 17 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 12 Views: 125

Utterly lost - I am simply unable to produce a cup of espresso

Ahh I see. I've been buying the same brand ever since I got the machine and my results never changed. So I really think I am the mistake in the process Everybody here suggests a double basket. Though as I mentioned before that will result in double the amount of caffeine - which will result in less drinking of coffee...
by ira, 22 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 1 Views: 17

Rancilio Silvia heating element - what are correct readings?

200K to ground is a problem that will set off GFI outlets. And while I don't know, 50 ohms implies a 250 watt element which seems very small for an espresso machine. edit: you're in London so 500 w which might be OK. Ira
by cafeIKE, 23 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 12 Views: 125

Utterly lost - I am simply unable to produce a cup of espresso

+1 on the coffee. However it might not be stale. I'm currently drinking a FRESH northern Italian style roast that required going from typical 15-18 on the Niche to 5. Pucks are goopy. [It took ½ pound to dial in on the Elektra MXC as the beans are so large and light they would not single dose and the grind...
by AssafL, 24 minutes ago in Grinders

Whoa... Measuring current on a mains connected equipment, sometimes with a chopper and/or switched mode power supply, is not a "home" multimeter thing. You need an RMS meter, that has an Amp range that will not fry the fuse (startup current may be large). Or better a clamp and an exposed wire section (or loops). You need to multiply voltage...
by CoffeeMac, 24 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 358 Views: 26911

The Londinium R24

If you hold back the lever then it's all muscle memory. The Londinium Compressa is very much an analog machine..
by giboja, 24 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 7 Views: 129

Need help Olympia Cremina hydraulics redesign

So be it. Thanks