Recent Posts

by Brewzologist, 9 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 15 Views: 113

New thermocouple setup/ first time Phidget-ing

Also, I would expect the BT probe (2mm right?) to be cooler than the ET probe (3mm right?) regardless of probe diameter. With my drum roaster, as you move higher into the drum, and closer toward the exhaust port, the temps go up due to hot air rising. This can also be affected by where incoming air comes into the...
by Brewzologist, 18 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting

The thinner the probe, the quicker it will respond to changing temperature. It might be that the 2mm probe is responding faster to temp changes than the 3mm and analog probes, which have more mass and thus are slower to respond to change. One way to test this would be to warm up the roaster with no beans in it...
by another_jim, 27 minutes ago in Coffees
Replies: 1 Views: 8

Dominican Republic Ramirez Estate Aged Natural

It sounds like a new take on a very old style of coffee prep. In Chiapas, Haiti, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic, in the 1800s, coffee used to be done natural, then dried on roof tops. It didn't get to the roasters for about a year, and competed with similar naturals from Yemen and the Indonesian Islands. That was how...
by Pressino, 39 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 10 Views: 151

Leak on Profitec Pro 700

Great. I should read through all the posts before chiming in! It's an easy fix.
by another_jim, 42 minutes ago in Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 27 Views: 542

Chicago-Milwaukee-NW Indiana Area Get Together

There may be more bourbon than coffee; I'm going to have to stock up on branchwater and alka seltzer. Seriously, this is looking really good.
by JRising, 48 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 4 Views: 45

Strange noise on Rocket Giotto R

I've got to agree with DaveC. It sounds like your expansion valve is harmonic at some point during the "filling of the pre-infusion chamber" stage, thus the expansion valve/OPV is being opened at something less than the the max brew pressure you would want the pump's bypass valve set for. Make sure, as DaveC mentioned, the OPV is adjusted to...
by JRising, 56 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 3 Views: 110

I'm planning to test the extraction phenomenon with a transparent basket.

I would love to see what that portafilter would reveal about the flow characteristics of an un-level tamping. In my mind I picture the entire surface dampening and swelling immediately and low side soaking through quickly, basically leaving the high side dry at the bottom until very late in the extraction because the path has already been cleared in the...
by debadano, Today, 11:07 am in Coffee Roasting

yes i did that. i told the pid that it was a type k. i stuck the 2mm directly into the phidget and i seem to be getting somewhat accurate data at first, but the longer that the probe is hot, the lower the temperature reading. the 3mm will be giving me 350 and so will the analog, and the...
by patriot dude, Today, 10:58 am in Grinders
Replies: 2 Views: 44

Eureka Atom - counter starts, relay click, no grinding

That does seem like the most likely part to me however I lack the experience in diagnosing this. Surprisingly neither Clive or Seattle Coffee Gear has made the capacitor suggestion but that is one of the first things that came to my mind as well. The hardest part about this for me to understand from the beginning is how resetting...
by K7, Today, 10:52 am in Buying Advice
Replies: 11 Views: 287

Single boiler espresso machine choices

Yeah, Lelit Victoria is the only one available in the US that ticks all the boxes (PID, pressure gauge, 58mm) as far as I know. La Pavoni Casabar PID is similar, perhaps a bit sturdier build, but it's not available in the US. You can order a 110V version from overseas online (Italy, Canada). Nice thing about it is it...