Recent Posts

by cafespress, 1 minute ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 1115 Views: 106732

La Marzocco Linea Mini User Experience

I measured the distance from the cup tray surface to the counter as you requested. The distance is 14.5 inches. That includes the addition of a small stool protector pad under each leg, and adjustment of the legs as high as possible. Those two items add about .25 to .50 inches to the height of my Mini. I wanted to...
by luvmy40, 4 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 706 Views: 60786

Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance

Trust me. Replace all of the o-rings in the steam circuit. The machine is 3 years old and these o-rings start leaking between 2 and 3 years.
by luvmy40, 10 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 3 Views: 86

Best espresso machine for light roasts?

Look for a pre owned DF64 grinder and a pre owned Breville Dual Boiler. I doubt you'll be able to find that combo for under $1000.00 USD but it will be the cheapest combo that will give you the versatility you want for light roast SOs. Brand new, you'll be at $2100.00-$2300.00, which is still low cost for the capability....
by DamianWarS, 11 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 0 Views: 6

Alternatives to BP Plus

I've been looking at ordering the BP Plus lower shower screen, not knowing where to go I did a search on Amazon. I didn't find the brand "BP Plus" but I did find a pile of alternatives for much cheaper. So what would discourage me from getting the cheaper ones over BP Plus?
by jwCrema, 13 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 19 Views: 415

PID on Olympia Cremina

There are many posts in this forum about the three hole steam wand for the Cremina. Some plug a hole or two, or they purchase a one hole tip from a guy on Etsy or eBay. If you have the welded tip wand, and the machine was previously used, it is difficult to properly clean them. I prefer the one...
by Jeff, 22 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 3 Views: 86

Best espresso machine for light roasts?

If you put out a budget, then people can help you make a balanced decision. If you're still using a Virtuoso for a grinder, that definitely needs to be retired from espresso duty. "Starter" is relative. To throw some numbers out there, you're probably looking at $1,500 and up for a machine and $600 and up for a grinder that...
by GDM528, 25 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 220 Views: 7156

New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity

Ikawa's recipe does that quick initial temperature spike thing, which I imagine wreaks a lot of thermal havoc early in the program. So perhaps it's taking 2-3 minutes for the system to calm down, given all the sensor delay times. What is the "thermocouple and Phidgets" thingy you mentioned - is that something I can buy or build?
by okmed, 31 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 2 Views: 46

ARC 800 Roaster

There is a damper flap on the bean cooling duct. It's under that white basket (rodent guard), just like a dryer vent flap. The vent pipe doesn't have a damper flap but when I finish roasting I just close the air damper valve and that works.
by mkane, 39 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 27 Views: 1613

DRIP Coffee: Baratza Virtuoso vs Niche Zero?

Watching this thread. We have a Virtuoso and HG-1. Sold the NZ. My wife likes immersion, I do PO. I haven't used Virtuoso for PO yet. In the morning.
by GDM528, 40 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 220 Views: 7156

New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity

I've found Sweet Marias to have useful introductory content, like: {link} My physics-y explanation is air roasting uses convective heat transfer, whereas a drum roaster uses conductive and radiative heat transfer. Kinda like the difference between cooking chicken wings in a hot air 'fryer' versus on a hot skillet.